Home

TheSinner.net

NUS card

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

NUS card

Postby the_leish on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:20 pm

Can someone tell me what an NUS card is, and where to get one? Cheers!

[hr]

Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
the_leish

Re:

Postby Okocim on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:04 pm

NUS stands for the National Union of Students. The majority of UK universities are members of this body and thus their students are entitled to carry NUS cards which offer certain discounts in shops, cinemas and stuff. The cards used to be free but these days they cost £10.

However, as St Andrews is not a member of the NUS you will be unable to get such a card. The reason for St Andrews not being a member is because it would cost enormous amounts of money for the Students' Association to join and the benefits are extremely minor in comparison. The majority of retailers will accept your matriculation card as student ID. I've just spent a year at an NUS university and never once recieved any discounts specifically because of this. I know they exist, but I don't think there's anything special you'll be missing out on by not having an NUS card.
Okocim

Re:

Postby maenad on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:47 pm

On Friday there were some people handing out leaflets on North Street who were wearing something saying 'Free NUS Extra card!'. Is this even relevant to us?

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Lovely Goat on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:13 am

I have an International Student Identity Card, which is affiliated (or something) to the NUS so you can get discounts even at all the arsy places which insist on the card being NUS - although the number of times I've had to point out the NUS logo on the back is comical. It costs £6 for a year (or September through to following December) and I've found it's saved me loads of money - shops, bowling, cinema, foreign tourist attractions/travel. Guess it depends what you do. If anyone wants one, you can get it at the University Travel Service on the 1st floor of the union building; you need a passport photo and matric card/other official evidence of being a St A student.
Lovely Goat

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:37 am

I think free NUS extra is the most recent ad. by the TSB. I'm pretty sure it is relevant to us, but you never know...

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Return to Advice Please!