Home

TheSinner.net

Ceilidh Bands

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Ceilidh Bands

Postby kimando on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Hey, I'm in the middle of searching for a ceilidh band for an event, and emailed a few bands asking if they're available and what price etc..

But would be very interested to hear if anyone here can recommend a band? Or know how much we should roughly fork out for one.

We've had one quote so far for a 4-piece band playing a 4 hour set for a whopping £750, which seemed a bit pricey, but they say they're one of the best.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheaper one?

Many thanks
kimando

Re:

Postby sqril on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 pm

I think Celtic soc have their own band, they were advertising it at freshers fair i seem to remember.you might try emailing them, no idea how good they are tho celticsoc@st-andrews.ac.uk
It’s been this way from the start
Everybody walking round with holes in the heart
Everybody holding up skies in the dark
As the stars keep falling
sqril

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Last Tram Fea Achtenshoogle (sp) are worth whatever it is they charge.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby kimando on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:48 pm

even more than £750? I'm not sure if we can afford them, but heard they're the best ceilidh band in the world, or so it was advertised on a website.
kimando

Re:

Postby orudge on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:23 pm

They're the band who usually do the ceilidh in freshers week, and an excellent ceilidh they do, too.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby MartinConaghan on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:29 am

Hey, I play in a ceilidh band called Shy Bairn (Ceilidh Band). We're all students and we've been together as a folk band for a couple of years. We won STARfactor in rag week 2006 and we played for a week and a bit at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this summer with an Irish dancing group from St Andrews - Siamsoir.

We've played tons of ceilidhs between us so decided to start playing them as a band. We've played a couple already in Edinburgh and have three or four bookings over the next few months in St Andrews. Three of us played or play with 'Ceilidh Trail' which is a summer music school in the North of Scotland.

Selling part over, we don't charge anywhere near £750, generally £400 for 5 people. And we're pretty good, but obviously I would say that! We've been asked to play the students union main bar on St Andrews day (not confirmed yet but looking like 8-10pm) - next Wednesday, so that would be a chance to see for yourself.

If you want to check availability let me know (mac34@st-and...)

Martin
MartinConaghan

Re:

Postby Sarah on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Dude - try Shy Bairn!!!! They're on Facebook!!! Very reasonable and super good!
Sarah

Re:

Postby kimando on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:35 pm

We think we've found a good ceilidh band we are going to accept.

Thank for all the help everyone, it's been a really good response. And we shall make a note of the bands mentioned to use in later events.
kimando

Return to Advice Please!