Home

TheSinner.net

Eye Exams

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Eye Exams

Postby Blurry on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Based on the headaches and fuzzy vision I'm starting to get when reading, I think it's probably time for an eye exam.

Never having had problems before, I have no idea what to do about it, so I'd be grateful if someone could answer a few basic questions for me...

What opticians are there in St Andrews?
Can I just go in and ask for an appointment?
Does it cost to have a check up, and if so roughly how much?
If it does turn out i need glasses, any idea roughly how much money i'd have to shell out?

Thanks
Blurry

Re:

Postby Starla on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:14 pm

I go to D&A on Bell St, eye exams are free in Scotland.
Glasses are bloody expensive though!

[hr]

"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Hevelius on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Quoting Blurry from 08:47, 14th Mar 2008

I use Dolland and Aitchison, on Bell St., but I believe there are others.

Yes.

There is now no charge for eye tests in Scotland. D&A certainly do free ones on the NHS. When I used to have to pay in England, it cost about £20 I think.

If it does turn out i need glasses, any idea roughly how much money i'd have to shell out?

Depends on what lenses you need and what style of frames you go for (I think my current specs cost about £100 all in). I don't want to sound like an advert for D&A, but they have always been upfront with me about prices, etc and have given good advice. I think if you have an HC1 form (e.g. for dentists, free prescriptions, etc) you may be eligible for free or cheaper lenses. Again, whichever optician you choose should be able to advise...

HTH!
Hevelius

Re:

Postby Hevelius on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Quoting Hevelius from 19:53, 15th Mar 2008
Quoting Blurry from 08:47, 14th Mar 2008

I use Dolland and Aitchison, on Bell St., but I believe there are others.

Yes.

There is now no charge for eye tests in Scotland. D&A certainly do free ones on the NHS. When I used to have to pay in England, it cost about £20 I think.

Depends on what lenses you need and what style of frames you go for (I think my current ones cost in the region of £100). I don't want to sound like an advert for D&A, but they have always been upfront with me about prices, etc and have given good advice. I think if you have an HC1 form (e.g. for dentists, free prescriptions, etc) you may be eligible for free or cheaper lenses. Again, whichever optician you choose should be able to advise...

HTH!
Hevelius

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:31 pm

I've experienced pretty bad service with Dolland and Aitchison and instead would recommend Govans on South Street (just next door to Rock Sensations). The people that work there are very friendly and prices for glasses are good.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby maenad on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:32 pm

I didn't know eye tests were free in Scotland. Cool.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Had a routine one recently. I used to wear glasses, even tho my eyes werent that bad I hated blurry outlines on distant objects so I used to wear them all the time. Got my eyes zapped to fix that little problem! Nearly 20/20 now.

When I had to buy glasses they were usually between £60-120, and I usually had to buy a backup but sometimes that would be half price.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby xsilence on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:07 pm

It sounds like all you need are reading glasses, so you probably don't need to get examined. Some shops will have reading glasses for cheap, as they're only magnifying lenses and don't need to be tailored to each person except in the most drastic cases. Tske a book into a shop, try on a couple, and see what makes your eyes strain less.

Though, if you're worried about your eyes and perhaps haven't been examined in a while, certainly go for an eye exam if it makes you more comfortable.
xsilence

Re:

Postby Hevelius on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Quoting xsilence from 15:07, 16th Mar 2008
It sounds like all you need are reading glasses, so you probably don't need to get examined. Some shops will have reading glasses for cheap, as they're only magnifying lenses and don't need to be tailored to each person except in the most drastic cases. Tske a book into a shop, try on a couple, and see what makes your eyes strain less.

Though, if you're worried about your eyes and perhaps haven't been examined in a while, certainly go for an eye exam if it makes you more comfortable.

An optician tests for more than just short/long sightedness. They will also check your eyes for any sign of disease/damage - which may just save your sight. Worth making an appointment for a free test, you would think...
Hevelius

Eye tests are free

Postby kas48 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:14 pm

I went to the opticians beside Gorgeous on Bell Street. I get contact lenses with them (Direct Debit, delivered to my house) which means that my glasses are half price. I'm quite blind so that's quite a saving!!!

[hr]

The bird with the thorn in its breast, it follows an immutable law. It is driven by it knows not what to impale itself, and die singing. At the very instant that the thorn enters there is no awareness in it of the dying to come; it simply sings and sings until there is not the life left to sing another note. But we, when we put the thorns in our breasts, we know. We know and still we do it. Still we do it.
kas48

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Just go to an opticians it is free.
And who would choose a glasses display over professional advice? An idiot.
These store bought reading glasses are not horrific if you go to an opticians first and get a value from him (eg. -2.5) but otherwise you could make matters much worse.

[hr]

Splat!
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby unreg on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:19 am

I don't this advice is very good.

First of all both eyes may have different focal lengths (if glasses are wrong focal length in either eye you will feel dizzy), then you may have other problems e.g. squint or astigmatism.

Do not save money on glasses. ONCE YOU DAMAGE YOUR EYESIGHT IT IS VERY DIFFICULT/IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX.

GLASSES WITH THE WRONG FOCAL LENGTH WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYESIGHT.

NEVER,EVER, EVER, EVER SAVE MONEY/TIME ON YOUR HEALTH

unreg

Re:

Postby xsilence on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Geez, guys, I just gave my opinion, coming from someone who has had these exact problems myself countless times, and indeed do require reading glasses. I never suggested that the OP forgo medical help if he/she hasn't been for an eye exam, but as I come from America where nothing is free, I simply offered an alternative if indeed an alternative was desired. If you had read my post to the end, I have not condemned receiving said medical aid by any means.

Chill out.

Kthanx.

Quoting unreg from 23:34, 24th Mar 2008
I don't this advice is very good.

First of all both eyes may have different focal lengths (if glasses are wrong focal length in either eye you will feel dizzy), then you may have other problems e.g. squint or astigmatism.

Do not save money on glasses. ONCE YOU DAMAGE YOUR EYESIGHT IT IS VERY DIFFICULT/IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX.

GLASSES WITH THE WRONG FOCAL LENGTH WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYESIGHT.

NEVER,EVER, EVER, EVER SAVE MONEY/TIME ON YOUR HEALTH

xsilence

wtfy gusy

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

omfg WUT WUT WUT
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Return to Advice Please!