Home

TheSinner.net

Anybody know how to get a dissertation published?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Anybody know how to get a dissertation published?

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:45 pm

Has anyone out there published their dissertation? I never even considered doing it, but am beginning to think that it's rather silly to just let it fester on my hard drive. How exactly do you go about doing something like that?
Ragamuffin_artist

Re: Anybody know how to get a dissertation published?

Postby johnjohnjohn on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:51 pm

I would assume it completely depends on the subject as to who you approach - I guess the best person to assess whether or not it was of publishable standard would be your supervisor or someone the the department. They could then contact the relevant journals for it to be reviewed. At least this is how I imagine it would work for a scientific paper, it may be very different for an Arts subject. Still best to ask the department though.
johnjohnjohn

Re: Anybody know how to get a dissertation published?

Postby Cinema on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Do you want to just print copies for yourself? Or are you actually looking to publish it with a publisher? If the latter, it all depends on your discipline. If you're in the humanities, the more appropriate question might be: how do I turn my dissertation into a book? There are a number of books on this topic, so I'd start there (along with talking to your advisor).

If you want a vanity copy, you could go with a German publisher. Publishing is required in Germany to receive many degrees, so it is a bit different of a phenomenon there. I once had a German publisher contact me about publishing my MA thesis... o.o
Cinema

Return to Advice Please!