Home

TheSinner.net

Job Decisions

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Job Decisions

Postby fluffy on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:27 am

So I started a teacher training course, and it's driving me crazy. The problem is that every day we're in uni they expect us to sit through two three-hour classes a day, one of which we're colouring in, and the other we're learning to count. None of this is helping me to be a good teacher, and I've been able to count since I was five. So. I'm trying to get out. Problem is, the jobs are not very forthcoming. So I have a couple of solutions, but none of them are particularly good just now. Advice please?

Option A; continue with course (although only ten per cent of graduates last year got teaching jobs from this course). also, I wouldn't graduate til december cause i already took time out, so would miss the majority of new jobs occuring in sept. Only good thing about this option is that I get paid £400 a month to train, so my bank won't empty.

Option B; I have an interview on tuesday for a job paying £16000. It;s not what I want to do, but it's cash. And if one of the graduate jobs in option C come up, I could leave for those. But it would be a bit of a shit thing to do.

Option C; I'm still being considered for three graduate jobs, and one non graduate job in the charity sector all starting Sept. But I don't want to rely on those coming through, because they may not happen. Also they're not what I want to end up doing, but I failed the maths test for the job sector I really want and now have to reapply in November. And at least they would give me good experience and leaway for said jobs I really want.

Option D; I could work at a summer camp for four weeks in March, and then two months In July to give me enough money to last long enough in case I get one of the above mentioned graduate jobs starting in Sept, but if I don't get graduate jobs, this is a very gay option. Only problem is, I really need cash in order to relocate for graduate jobs. Really need cash.

So - what would you do????????
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re: Job Decisions

Postby jollytiddlywink on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 pm

fluffy wrote: ...but if I don't get graduate jobs, this is a very gay option. ...

So - what would you do????????

I'd invest in a thesaurus and take care to be a little more circumspect in my use of adjectives.
jollytiddlywink

Postby fluffy on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 pm

ohhh. it wasn't meant to be a homophobic term... being gay myself.
fluffy

Postby the Empress on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 am

Forgetting the course for a minute, do you really *want* to be a teacher? Because if that's what you want, it's worth going through the motions and finishing the course. On the other hand, if you don't ultimately want to be a teacher, then there's no point in continiuing with a course you hate (altho, do you have to pay back the money if you don't complete the course?). If you're not already part-time in a classroom, maybe you should do some extra work experience with kids, so you can be sure.

I'm in a similar quandry on the job front - no money but need voluntary stuff to get access to my ideal career. But if I do voluntary I'm making a commitment in the weekday so can't accept the random F/T temp jobs that come my way . . .On the other hand, do I continue to apply for graduate jobs I'm not sure I actually want . . . . I've also failed a maths test! I can do the verbal and the patterns - I just can't finish the calculations in the time set even though I know *how* to do them (I've passed them for an engineering grad job in the past, but the finance ones seem to be a lot harder!). I hate psychometric testing.

If it helps you any . . . I've decided to continue going through the motions of grad jobs and see where it leads, if anywhere. I'm also applying for various P/T voluntary posts which will give me the experience I need for the career I've been training for, and going to a meeting about a weekend project that looks like a good prospect. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up P/T temp work on the side. Will reassess where I am in a month. I actually feel alot better now I've decided to take some chances, and move forward towards my original goal.
the Empress

Postby fluffy on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 am

I think i could cope with teaching. I want to work in international development, but you need two year's field experience and an awful lot of luck to get into that, and one of the easiest routes to do that is to teach in developing countries with the VSO, which is where the teaching comes in. It's just the six hours a day of colouring in and adding that are driving me crazy. and the bit where i won't graduate til after the jobs come in because i took time off already.

maths tests are stupid. the job i was applying for didn't even need maths skills. and it's the timing for me too. i think for next year's intake i'm going to hire a tutor to help me get through the tests.
fluffy

Postby Freaker on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 am

If you finish your course and have a semester to kill, come to China to teach English here. They're always looking for people and often employ new teachers in the winter; you'd have no problem getting a job there for a semester and could even save some money because everything is so cheap.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby fluffy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm

do they take you without a CELTA/DELTA? because if so, i'm coming over niko!
fluffy

Postby Thalia on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 pm

I've heard good things about the JET programme but application process starts September so you wouldn't be able to do it this year and you do have to be quite interested in Japanese culture.

Personally, I would stick with the teaching - if you're making enough money you might as well get the qualification after the time you've put into it already. But it's probably best to go for whatever you think will best get you where you want to go - at least if it's crappy then you can reassure yourself that it's still on the right path :)
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Freaker on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:22 am

fluffy wrote:do they take you without a CELTA/DELTA? because if so, i'm coming over niko!

Oh yes, many people don't even have a TEFL certificate when they start here. Most schools' minimum requirement is a college degree - so with the St Andrews MA, we already have an advantage over the usual BA. Any other qualifications are optional, TEFL/TESOL usually preferred, and sometimes they won't take somebody without experience.

As far as I know, my school is still looking for people starting this March, in case you're wanting to get away ASAP ;) !
Freaker

Postby fluffy on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:08 am

that sounds awesome. the problem is, i have £100 in my bank right now so i have to take something before i can afford to travel! which is why i'm thinking i'm going to be forced back into teacher training. sigh. but from october time i should be qualified and have a couple of grand so it sounds like a plan.
only thing is, i can't speak the lingo.
fluffy

Postby Freaker on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 am

The language shouldn't be a problem - most teachers don't speak a word of Chinese before they arrive, and most schools offer free language courses for the foreign teachers (although that's typically just a few hours a week.)

And as for travel - by law, if you stay for one semester the school has to reimburse you for a one-way flight. If you sign a contract for a whole year, they pay for a return flight. Problem is they often only reimburse you at the end of your contract.

Once you are in China, travel is really cheap, and in fact teaching English in China is one of the best ways to travel the country. I have two months of fully paid holiday right now, and will have another 1 1/2 months in the summer. But even while you are there, even though the salaries are pretty low by western standards, you can easily save about 300 pounds a month and travel a lot from that later.

Maybe I should make a new information post about teaching opportunities in China to lure sinnerites near and far to the Middle Kingdom... it's one of the few recession-proof, no-qualifications-needed jobs out there at the moment, and demand for teachers will only increase...

PS: If you're looking for a job from October... a couple of schools are still looking for people come October or November. My school hired somebody new two weeks before the semester ended. Disadvantage is you have to dive right in, but the huge advantage is the long paid winter holiday - so it's certainly worth it to apply for autumn semester jobs and telling them you might come later :D
Freaker

Return to Advice Please!