Home

TheSinner.net

Inquiry about tickets to New York

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Inquiry about tickets to New York

Postby wl79 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:19 am

Where can I buy a cheapest ticket from Edinburgh to New York on line? Or anywhere else?
wl79

Re: Inquiry about tickets to New York

Postby fluffy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 am

skyscanner.net
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Postby Freaker on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:02 am

Very effective, but slightly tedious way to find fantastic rates:

1) Check all the big pages - skyscanner.net, kayak.com, expedia, statravel etc. Make sure to use flexible dates and airports searches (eg 'nearby airports' features). Once you have found the cheapest flight on each route, note down price and all flight numbers and times.

2) Check which airline(s) that cheapest flight is with, and check their webpage directly. Sometimes there are exclusive deals on those pages not available elsewhere.

3) Check for connections to/from the nearest big hub - probably London in this case. Repeat steps one and two for flights to/from that hub, you may save a lot more than you'd pay for the internal flight or train to London.

4) Once you have found the best connection, give your local travel agent a ring and see if their price is the same.

Good luck!

PS: Also have a look for airline offers - often there are "book between dates x and y, fly between dates a and b" for big destinations like NY. If you are a little flexible or the dates match, these offers will be amongst the best you'll find. It's worth checking each big airline individually just for those ;) !
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby wild_quinine on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Freaker wrote:Very effective, but slightly tedious way to find fantastic rates:

<Snipped Excellent Advice>

Good luck!

Is it just me, or have prices really become much more uniform across all comparison and travel agency sites in the last two years or so? Making a significant improvement on the baseline with the methods above used to be guaranteed, now it's rare. These days I only do it because I hate finding out I overpaid later on, not because I actively expect to find a difference.
wild_quinine

Postby orudge on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

wild_quinine wrote:Is it just me, or have prices really become much more uniform across all comparison and travel agency sites in the last two years or so?

I've done quite a bit of long-haul travel in the past few years, and I have generally found that the airline web sites do tend to offer just the same fares as the comparison web sites/travel agencies. Although there do seem to be some comparison sites that show fantastically low fares, which are never apparently actually available to buy.

I'd recommend looking at a site like Opodo to get a general idea of realistic fares, and maybe then look at the airline web sites directly to see if they have any discounts.

The only direct flights from Edinburgh to New York are with Continental. But if you are flexible, you can get a one-stop flight via Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Paris, etc, which may well be cheaper and won't take too much longer.
orudge
Administrator

Postby What? on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Often the Continental flight from Glasgow seems to be significantly cheaper than the Edinburgh one. And a return bus ticket is only around £5 more by the time you connect to the airport, and the travel will only be 90 minutes or so longer.
What?

Return to Advice Please!