Home

TheSinner.net

Dissertation

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Dissertation

Postby FATOO8 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm in desperate need for someone who studies English or is a first language english speaker to help me out with my dissertation cause my english is a disgrace and I'm finding it very hard to use formal language. I promise I will buy whoever helps me chocolates!
FATOO8

Re: Dissertation

Postby FATOO8 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:54 am

And I forgot to add my e-mail is fb86, please e-mail if interested, I'm really desperate over here!
FATOO8

Postby ETA on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm

What's the dissertation on?
ETA

Postby FATOO8 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 am

Its a medical dissertation, on body dysmorphic disorder, but you don't need to know anything about it to help me out =p the grammar and informal writing is my major concern.
FATOO8

Postby kerryflett on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

[Message deleted]
Last edited by kerryflett on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kerryflett

Postby FATOO8 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Nothing is perfect! Chatting sounds great, so how do you wanna do this? Should I e-mail you my introduction or do you want to meet up for coffee (my treat!) or library? Which is suits is fine by me.
FATOO8

Postby kerryflett on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:54 am

I'm really sorry but having thought about it I'm not sure if this is a good idea: I'm really sorry to think about bailing on you but this could easily break the rules on plagarism. I might need to ask for some advice on this one before we do anything, sorry! I'm pretty sure that SALTIRE will be able to help, though. :o
kerryflett

Postby FATOO8 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:04 am

Oh, does it really? My supervisor was the one who suggested I look for an English first language speaker to help me out with my English, but, its okay, I understand. Thanks anyways.
FATOO8

Postby jollytiddlywink on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 am

I'd be willing to help. I'm no longer a student, and I read history, so there's no risk of plagiarism. I'm also a fan of chocolate!
jollytiddlywink

Postby Thalia on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:31 am

The original post was deleted so I don't know what kerryflett actually offered but how does helping someone with their grammar break any rules on plagiarism?
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby FATOO8 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 am

Yaay! Thank you so much for offering to help jollytiddlywink. Should I send you my introduction once I'm done with it which would probably be tomorrow and you can check it for any grammatical errors and then you can tell me where you live so I can deliver the chocolates! Or do you want to do it another way?
FATOO8

Postby kerryflett on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

@Thalia: Sorry, I should have clarified! :) Basically, my train of thought is that anything that could be taken as helping someone else with their work (i.e. helping with their grammar) could technically be viewed as plagarism; I know it's not, but it's possible someone could miscontrue it. I know it seems like I'm being priggish, but I thought I was better safe than sorry when I'm never sure how far the plagarism rules can be applied. My usual stance is that if I follow my school's rules, it's okay!
kerryflett

Postby kerryflett on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Also, I hadn't seen the post about your tutor advising you on it before I replied, my bad! Now I feel silly... :laugh:
kerryflett

Postby FATOO8 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 pm

No no don't feel silly. And just for the record you do speak perfect English ;p
FATOO8

Postby jollytiddlywink on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 pm

FATOO8 wrote:Yaay! Thank you so much for offering to help jollytiddlywink. Should I send you my introduction once I'm done with it which would probably be tomorrow and you can check it for any grammatical errors and then you can tell me where you live so I can deliver the chocolates! Or do you want to do it another way?

If you want to do that, you can email me at jollytiddlywinker (at) google mail (dot) com

but it would probably be easier if we just met somewhere in town, had a cup of tea, and I read the introduction and made suggestions. Editing things is always easier if I'm in the same room as the author!
jollytiddlywink

Postby FATOO8 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Meeting in town sounds good too! Anyways I finished writing my introduction so tell me whenever you're free?! I think its easier if you texted me on 07969614610 or e-mailed me on fb86@st-andrews.ac.uk.
FATOO8

Postby Fatoo8 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Still needs help =(
Fatoo8

Return to Advice Please!