Home

TheSinner.net

I want to learn German

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

I want to learn German

Postby lalalaaaa on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi, I am wanting to learn German. There is no reason for this but I am forever trying to learn languages and am rubbish at them! I have been told that German might be for me because I have a Scottish accent and learning French, Italian and Spanish was too difficult for pronounciation! Does anyone have any ideas how I should go about this? I dont want to take classes at uni because I already have a hectic timetable with biology! :D
lalalaaaa

Re: I want to learn German

Postby dejavu on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi there, I had a similar dilemma last year whilst considering learning Japanese. I found the best approach to be to enlist the help of my hot male Japanese neighbour with whom I had some "study sessions". I'm not sure if this opportunity is available in your case? He gave me phrases to recite whilst doing day to day events, e.g. whilst I showered I chanted Japanese phrases and found this helped a lot. Also, he recommended sticking labels to household objects with the Japanese word on them, sometimes for fun he would move them around and I'd have to sort them. Oh what fun we had... He also introduced me to some tradition cuisine which helped alot. We had much fun with chopsticks, perhaps you could do the same with a german sausage?

In case you were wondering our relationship is now over. To be honest he interests were a little too kinky for my liking...

If you are interested in some Japanese "study sessions" with me please don't hesitate to get in touch! Good luck on the learning!
dejavu

Postby dt239 on Sun May 30, 2010 5:00 pm

Heya. I do Biology and have a hectic timetable but manage to fit in German! I've just finished first year and didn't have any German experience.. I also know of evening classes outside Uni hours. If you need any info email me : dt239 :)
dt239

Postby knob on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Don't do it!
knob

Postby DACrowe on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:59 pm

knob wrote:Don't do it!

Warum Nicht?

You might want to look into the large number of language podcasts which are available for free as well (definitely not instead of) classes. An example would be the Deutsch - Warum Nicht? programme. Podcasts tend to be conveniently compatible with 'hectic timetables' as there's always time in the day spent walking from place to place or wandering round Tescos when your ears are free.
DACrowe

Postby md295 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm

I started German as a beginner and it's now the biggest part of my degree! The best way to start is undoubtedly the beginners course in the SoML but if you don't have time for it in your timetable, then perhaps an evening course would suffice. You can do one through the Uni but you'd have to pay for the privilege!! Podcasts are a great way of learning a new language, Deutsche Welle do some great free ones through itunes, but to be honest, they would only be suitable for learners who have at least a grasp of the basics. It might be a challenge at first, but learning German is a wonderful experience, it's a great language and it's well worth the effort :-)
md295

Return to Advice Please!