Home

TheSinner.net

University Accomodation

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

University Accomodation

Postby homeless? on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Anyone know when you find out whether you've been accepted into halls for next year (returning students)? I'm getting worried by the number of people struggling to find places to live and need to know when I may be possible joining them :(
homeless?

Re: University Accomodation

Postby FATOO8 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am

Hey,
In 2008 I got the accomodation offer e-mail on the 17th of March and in 2009 I got the e-mail on the 10th of March, so you should get it in a week or so, don't worry =).
FATOO8

Postby ritz07 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 am

hey its been quite a while now...hav not yet rcvd my accomodation details...reallly tensed. am a new student. is it always like dis? any1 who has rcvd a confirmation of the same. -.- should i look out for non uni accomodation aswell or wait??
ritz07

Postby ct3012 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

If you are a new student, you won't usually hear about university accommodation until June/July, after the final date for applications has passed. If you are a returning student, you would have got an email on the 10th March telling you whether or not you were accepted. If you didn't get this email, or you haven't accepted your contract as it told you to within the 10 days you aren't in halls.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby stripedtights on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Ha! when i was a new student i didnt hear anything till i phoned them and emailed multiple times. then week before freshers they said i didnt get in. Not that i want to scare you or anything...
i did eventually get a space in a house with 2 lovely girls and the hostel is nice enough :P
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Postby Nisbet on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:48 pm

I agree my lovely, the hostel is well nice, I would be surprised, but this is St Andrews. Even things that are genuinely believed to be rank are lovely! Haha
Good Luck getting in though toots
Nisbet

Postby Also Homeless on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 am

Yeah, the housing situation is looking very bad. I was admitted for postgrad recently and am having zero luck finding a place to live.

It's looking like i may have to turn down the offer because of lack of housing.
Also Homeless

Postby Archie on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 am

The Sinner positively groans under accommodation ads and people are contemplating turning down a place to study here because the university isn't doing all the work of finding a room for them? Who is going to do it for you when you get out there into the big wide world?

Good luck to the incoming undergrad. SSS may be able to help if you contact them.
Archie

Postby Also Homelss on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Archie,

I'm an incoming postgrad. I've been out in the world for years and have easily found apartments in Shanghai, LA, NY, etc. I don't expect the uni to all the work. I went to six letting agencies when i was at St.A for visiting day. I check the websites daily. And, i'm emailed everyone under the sun who might or might not be able to offer suggestions.

I've come up with zero.

Part of it is that i want a flat just for me, no roommates. So none of the Sinner ads are applicable.

Suggestions?...i'm also doing this from the States, on the web, which makes it harder.
Also Homelss

Postby Delts on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm

A lot of the accommodation ads are people desperately looking for places though. It can't be said that there isn't a shortage a decent housing in St Andrews. Between far flung locations outside of the town and the rent hikes the closer you get to the centre it can be an absolute nightmare.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Archie on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Also homeless, I appreciate your position. The best advice I can offer is to take a room in a shared house or flat to solve the immediate housing issue then look for a single flat when you're here. St Andrews, as Delts says, has a shortage of decent housing. It's amazing what starts to look good when you're desperate.

I would say that it's worth putting up with less than desirable accommodation in the short term in order to study here.
Archie

Postby donpablo on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

As soon as you get to the perimeter and beyond st andrews the market really opens up. I can't say I look at the accomodation board too often, but there should be a number of temporary solutions for a month or so. I'd grab one of those last minute if you have to, then when you are here you can properly look for a place that suits you.
donpablo

Postby snor on Mon May 10, 2010 9:53 am

Hi,

I have a room available in St Andrews if you are looking to rent in a 3 bedroom house. Would involve sharing with just me. Its a lovely house and is only a 15 minute walk from the centre. The rent is £365 (includes internet, but not gas or electric) the house is well insulated (unliek most places in St Andrews). If anyone is interested in renting the room out please email me on sn291. Room is available from July onwards..but am prepared to rent short term over summer and then again at the start of Sept. cheers
snor

Postby AlsoHomeless on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Alas, the situation i feared above is being realized. Despite a wild and extensive search, i have not found an apartment and am going to have to defer my admission offer unless something miraculous happens.

But if i were to simply show up in St. Andrews and stay in a hotel, what are my odds of finding a studio or one-bedroom within a month or so?...(i'm assuming "almost nil" since a many-month search has yielded nil, but figured i'd ask, as i'd really like to go to St. Andrews this year)...
AlsoHomeless

Postby 4ht on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:32 pm

ah you need the volkswagen campervan - then you can live in argyll street one day, St Mary's the next and so on!!! Brilliant.
4ht

Return to Advice Please!