Home

TheSinner.net

Switching halls?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Switching halls?

Postby ml353 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:12 am

:ninja: hi i'll be a third year UG in the fall, lost out in the first round of hall applications but luckily got allocated to Regs when i tried again after mid-April. I know I'd sound like an ass saying this, to anyone who're still homeless, but it would take me a bloody half an hour to get to lectures in the North Haugh.
I rang accommodations again, was told flatly that there's no other choice left but to stick with Regs.
Besides, I've been self-catered since like forever, meaning that, given the chance, i'd gladly switch places with anyone who's not happy with DRA /New Hall /etc.
But is that even possible? (given that I find a person who hates having anything to do with food other than eating it, and we both file an email to accomm. begging to switch places)

I've heard of people transferring to another room /hall before .... but switching from catered-standard to self-catered/ensuite?
ml353

Re: Switching halls?

Postby Delts on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:17 am

Half hour from regs to North Haugh? Are you crawling there!?
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby stripedtights on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

hahaha suck it up honey!
There will be many many people dying to have your place in halls.
Get a bike or learn to walk faster!!!!
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Postby Delts on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm still struggling to comprehend this, half an hour? It's less than a mile! Walking slowly it shouldn't take any more than 20 minutes, but just over 10 minutes should be all it takes. Even going purely by road and stopping at the front of chemistry google gives me a distance of 1.3 miles, which should still be well under 30 minutes of walking. If you really are that slow, then have you considered getting a mobility scooter?
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Im sorry but to echo whats already been posted here, get off your ass you lazy bum! Delts is right its no more than 10mins at a brisk pace (I'll grant you 15 if your a slow walker) but seriously get some perspective. If you were at almost any other university in the country a 15min walk (through very pleasant surrondings I might add) would seem unbelievably convenient.

Postby donpablo on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Yep, you pretty much sound like an ass to everyone, homeless or otherwise. DRA is further away, not to mention you have less distance to walk for the union, bus station, library, tescos or morrisons, health centre, etc.

But no poor you... how you made it this far in your harsh life is beyond me. Your struggle is truly worthy of a Hollywood epic.
donpablo

Postby steelegbr on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm

If you're worried about the walk from Regs, I'd hate to see what you'd do if you were allocated Albany Park. Every year I've been in halls, I've walk the half hour to North Haugh every morning. Now that's a nice short wee walk every morning, even if you go the coastal route.

If you were walking in from Leuchars you might have a case. :P
steelegbr

Postby wild_quinine on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:39 pm

steelegbr wrote:If you were walking in from Leuchars you might have a case. :P

One night, out in Dundee, I got a bit drunk and thought it might be a good idea to go home under my own steam. The only really annoying thing about having to walk around in St. Andrews was when you got one lecture in town right before one on the North Haugh, or something. It's running around all flustered that bugs me, not getting a bit of a light constitutional.
wild_quinine

Postby Wonderboy on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 pm

DRA isn't the only option, New Hall also does self catering and is close to North Haugh.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak? from two hundred yards away!
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Postby Fawksie on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 am

Wonderboy wrote:DRA isn't the only option, New Hall also does self catering and is close to North Haugh.

By dint of being on it, yes.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Wonderboy on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Granted smarty-pants.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak? from two hundred yards away!
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Postby oldbie on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm

If you find someone yourself in a different hall that also wants to swap then you can go to the accommodation services with them and sort something out. But you have to do all the legwork yourself really.

I did it once back in the day, I think I found someone to swap with through The Sinner actually!
oldbie

Postby alpen23 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm

It takes me 30mins to walk from Albany Park to the sports centre.
alpen23

Postby dt239 on Sun May 30, 2010 4:57 pm

I live in Albany and walked to the purdie every morning at 8.30. I was often 5 minutes early. And I'm a slow walker with little legs :D
dt239

Return to Advice Please!