Home

TheSinner.net

Meeting peole

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Meeting peole

Postby pixieFairy on Mon May 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi all,

I know this is a topic that is posted here quite often, but still looking for some advice:

I am a graduate of the Uni, but no longer studying, just living and working around here now, but it's such a small place, sometimes it can be hard meeting new people.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to meet new people, without going down the traditional route of joining societies etc.

Any advice much appreciated! :)
pixieFairy

Re: Meeting peole

Postby ONeill on Tue May 04, 2010 11:44 am

Sounds like you are in much the same boat as me. I've always found that the best way to meet new people is to have something better to do than to meet new people. My choice was to rejoin the Sports Centre and hit the gym. Within a few weeks I was able to find new friends with similar interests which quickly opened doors to getting involved in other sports.

In my case, that's pretty much what I was looking for. If you aren't into the exercise thing then I guess it could be a little harder to find people.
ONeill

Postby Emmeline on Wed May 26, 2010 6:48 pm

pixieFairy wrote:Hi all,

I know this is a topic that is posted here quite often, but still looking for some advice:

I am a graduate of the Uni, but no longer studying, just living and working around here now, but it's such a small place, sometimes it can be hard meeting new people.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to meet new people, without going down the traditional route of joining societies etc.

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Hi Pixie!
I'm soon to move to St Andrews to start a new job with the University and am also looking to meet new people. It's so much easier when you're a student! Have lots of your friends moved away from St Andrews since? I graduated from Oxford last year and have been working in the town since then - the place has a really different feel now that all my friends have left!
I imagine that you now know St Andrews like the back of your hand and so I'd really appreciate your advice on the town/surrounding area. It would also be really nice to meet somebody in my new town! Let me know if you'd like to meet up in a pub one evening for a chat - I'm moving up to St Andrews in two weeks' time :)
Drop me an email on oxonienne@gmail.com if you like or just reply here.
Hope to speak to you soon!
Emma
Emmeline

Postby PixieFairy on Thu May 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Emma,

Yeah, I had a few friends here that stayed on a bit longer at Uni, but they've all moved away too now, so I was just looking to meet some new people outside of work!

It's always daunting moving to a new place, but St Andrews is lovely, a great place to work, and I would certainly be up for a chat in the pub sometime, and give you some info on the in and outs of the town.

I'll email you soon, and arrange when we could meet up!

Katie
PixieFairy

Postby Emmeline on Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Katie,

Fantastic - looking forward to meeting you soon :)

Emma
Emmeline

Return to Advice Please!