Home

TheSinner.net

New in Town!

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

New in Town!

Postby snor on Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi,

I am relatively new in St Andrews, and was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me what type of things are avilable to do around here. For example, art classes, photography etc. I dont really know many people so was thinking this may be a good way to meet more people. Also, where are such activities advertised?
snor

Re: New in Town!

Postby El on Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey,
I've had a similar problem. They have art classes at the botanic gardens, if you don't mind the rest of the class being about twice your age. I've seen some art classes advertised in the Open Association brochure, but I think it will be pretty quiet over the summer with students leaving and people going on holiday. I do painting and also trying my hand at a couple of new things, you are welcome to join me.
El

Postby ONeill on Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 pm

If you are into photography then the town and surrounding areas offer plenty to shoot. Can't say I've seen too many photographers out and about when I've been carrying my gear. There is apparently a local society though which has a website at http://www.standrewsphotographicsociety.com/ where you should find details on meeting times etc.
ONeill

Postby maxray on Fri May 14, 2010 1:08 pm

ONeill wrote:If you are into photography then the town and surrounding areas offer plenty to shoot. Can't say I've seen too many photographers out and about when I've been carrying my gear. There is apparently a local society though which has a website at http://www.standrewsphotographicsociety.com/ where you should find details on meeting times etc.

The problem with photography in St Andrews is that you run out of things to shoot in a week, month at max.
maxray

Postby jollytiddlywink on Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 pm

maxray wrote:
ONeill wrote:If you are into photography then the town and surrounding areas offer plenty to shoot. Can't say I've seen too many photographers out and about when I've been carrying my gear. There is apparently a local society though which has a website at http://www.standrewsphotographicsociety.com/ where you should find details on meeting times etc.

The problem with photography in St Andrews is that you run out of things to shoot in a week, month at max.

I should point out that I am not a serious photographer, and am a distance runner and thus cover more ground than most, but if you run out of things to shoot here after a month, you're going to miss at least two seasons of the year, and you must clearly have decided that 'St Andrews' doesn't stretch nearly so far as the Grange Inn or the nether-regions of Fife Park, let alone some of the nearby countryside. I'd recommend a hike out to Denhead Craig for some beautiful views especially on a clear day.
jollytiddlywink

Return to Advice Please!