Home

TheSinner.net

Where to buy a TV?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Where to buy a TV?

Postby Cinema on Sun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Is there some super secret place to buy cheap TVs in the UK, or is everywhere pretty much the same? Is Argos just as good as anywhere?
Cinema

Re: Where to buy a TV?

Postby Gubbins on Sun May 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Cinema wrote:Is there some super secret place to buy cheap TVs in the UK, or is everywhere pretty much the same? Is Argos just as good as anywhere?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer :P

Or if you really do want the real deal, you can usually get cheap second hand ones from the listings in the back of newspapers (or buy a copy of ScotAds). If you want a new one, Argos is pretty much as good as anywhere, once you factor in transport of the thing back to StA!
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby yut on Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 pm

If you're buying new, John Lewis always give the best deals.
yut

Postby wild_quinine on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 am

Buying online is still pretty much the cheapest way to get anything that you want. John Lewis are NOT the cheapest in my experience, but they do offer a free five year guarantee on their tellies - which is cracking.

But what are you looking to spend, and what are you looking to get?
wild_quinine

Postby lost_eden on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Yes, buying online is usually cheapest, but I maintain that a TV is something you should try your best to see working in person before you buy. If there is a Richer Sounds anywhere near you, they will be more than happy to give you loads of really good advice, let you properly look at the TVs, etc. If the one near you has a demonstration room, they may even set some up for you in a proper viewing environment & let you bring along whatever you might want to plug into it. I gave the same advice to my sister a few years ago & she went along to the Sounds in Cambridge & spent a good hour or so in the demo room with her boyfriend's Xbox 360 before making the decision. Their prices usually aren't that bad compared to online anyway (remember to ask them for the price on their website rather than the price in the shop, as their website is often cheaper than the shop but you have to mention it).
lost_eden

Postby JPJP on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:07 am

We just used Costco to buy a 40" Samsung, and the price was equivalent to online, and I believe this was true with smaller tv's as well. The thing about them is that as long as you keep the receipt it works as an indefinite warranty regardless of age. Best of all they don't really question the return either. I've had friends who have taken an old tv back after 4 years when it's stopped working and the return desk just gave the cash equivalent to what they paid 4 years ago for them to buy a brand new tv!
JPJP

Return to Advice Please!