Home

TheSinner.net

Postgrad housing in DRA

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Postgrad housing in DRA

Postby megusa on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:33 am

Hi there! I just found out that I was placed in a single postgrad room in DRA for 2010/11, and wanted to find out a bit more about it. I'm an international student and have never been to the area, so I don't have a good understanding of where to live. I hear that the DRA is far from town and might not be the best atmosphere for meeting others. Are there any other postgrads out there who have been placed in DRA? What are some of the better buildings for postgrad housing? Or should I try to rent non-uni housing and hope for the best? Lots of questions, but thanks for all of the help!! :)
megusa

Re: Postgrad housing in DRA

Postby ellejay on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:01 pm

I was an international postgrad last year and lived in DRA. It is a bit of a walk from town (about 15-20 minutes, depending on how fast you walk) and there's not much on the walk in between town and DRA. It was annoying at times that there really wasn't anywhere close to just get a carton of milk or a loaf of bread or something (except in the shop at DRA, which I believe has been closed down now). There are a few buildings that are exclusively for postgrads, and you can expect that everyone else you live with will be a postgrad as well. It is a bit hard to get to know people as most postgrads are international students and people tend to just make friends with people who are from the same country as them. However, the rooms are quite nice and I didn't have any trouble making friends from my classes and from postgrad society events rather than the people I was living with. Non-university housing is somewhat hard to come by and would probably be more hassle than it's worth. I was always jealous of the postgrads that lived in town (in places like Dean's Court, Gannochy, and Angus House) due to the convenience, but their rooms weren't as nice. Hope this answers your questions!e
ellejay

Postby megusa on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Thank you so much, ellejay! Very helpful! Although I have just found that I could be moved to Hepburn Hall....is one def better than the other?
megusa

Postby agness9 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:01 am

Hi!

I'm an international post graduate and got sorted into DRA for 2010 and 2011 as well. I was actually wondering the same thing, because from what I read DRA is for both under and post grads. Are the flats shared between post graduates and undergraduates or do they usually sort it so that your 4 other flatmates are postgraduates as well?
Also, isit single gender or mixed per flat?

Any other insightful information on DRA would be much appreciated! Thanksssss ! :)
agness9

Postby Kegrad on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 pm

The flats tend to be just postgrads or just undergrads. Postgrads are mixed between phd and masters students though.
Kegrad

Postby an71 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi

I'm living in DRA at the moment as a visiting postgrad, and moving to different flat come September.

DRA is a little bit out of town yeah, but not a long way, a 20 minute walk maximum, there is also a bus up here which runs in term time. It's a really big complex with lots of people about and there is a bar/canteen as well, so its definitely somewhere you can meet new people.
an71

Postby agness9 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm glad the post grads are put together, just cause I suppose it'd be a nice way to meet more post grads especially since I won't know anyone once I arrive!

Another question... DRA has many 'houses' right? Are a lot of the houses different or are they pretty much the same? Are any houses 'better' than others? And are each houses mixed gender? What about each flat within the houses?

Sorry, lots of questions but I really have no idea where to get all these informations!
agness9

Postby an71 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:01 pm

agness9 wrote:Thanks so much for the replies! I'm glad the post grads are put together, just cause I suppose it'd be a nice way to meet more post grads especially since I won't know anyone once I arrive!

Another question... DRA has many 'houses' right? Are a lot of the houses different or are they pretty much the same? Are any houses 'better' than others? And are each houses mixed gender? What about each flat within the houses?

Sorry, lots of questions but I really have no idea where to get all these informations!

All the houses are the same layout, they have just built some new ones, which may look a tad newer, but they are built on the same design as the old ones. They all have double beds and en suite's, and a television. The kitchens have all the mod-cons and lockable cupboards to keep your stuff safe, and a living space as well.

As far as i'm aware the houses are mixed genders, as are the flats, but don't quote me on this!
an71

Return to Advice Please!