Home

TheSinner.net

Broadband: which to choose?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Broadband: which to choose?

Postby Jessintrouble on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi,

I'm moving to a new home and am wondering which broadband to choose, with unlimited download.
I was with Virgin this year however the speed seems not satisfying. I am considering Talk&Talk as they claim they have a 12GB speed in St Andrews when I phoned them, and they seem really cheap.
I am sharing a flat with 2 other people who are heavy downloaders (No BitTorrent though).
Anyone got an idea? o.o
Jessintrouble

Re: Broadband: which to choose?

Postby orudge on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:02 am

Are there any providers that actually offer "unlimited" downloads these days? Almost all will at least have something in their small print restricting you to a pitiful amount, before then slowing your downloads right now.

I'd still recommend the provider I did a couple of years ago, ADSL24. They are a bit more expensive, and they do have limits, but those limits are very clearly set out (and only apply during certain hours, the rest of the time you can download to your heart's content) - if you want a fast and reliable connection even with people downloading heavily, they'll generally be able to deliver it.
orudge
Administrator

Postby donpablo on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 am

I'd second that recommendation. Unlimited evening and weekend downloads and a healthy daytime limit that I have never exceeded (or come close too really). Plus the extras and a faultless service, is really worth that little bit extra.
donpablo

Postby Fawksie on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:29 pm

orudge wrote:Are there any providers that actually offer "unlimited" downloads these days?

Yes, Be (and O2).

Fawksie wrote:I strongly recommend Be Broadband, they beat everyone else on the market in terms of price, their complete lack of traffic management, throttling or usage caps (except on the Be Value package), 3 month contracts, superb customer service, reliability and configurability.

O2's broadband runs on Be's infrastructure and is a good bit cheaper if you are an O2 mobile customer, and don't require Be's extensive line parameter control, free 24 hour phone support and IRC support (which you most probably don't).

ADSL24's LLU product is also resold Be LLU and is considerably more expensive than either of the above. So you need to decide how much you depend on or care about customer service, since that's the only logical difference between the three.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby lost_eden on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41 am

Fawksie wrote:Yes, Be (and O2).

I was with O2 in my second year & there was certainly a 'fair usage policy' in the paperwork somewhere. I didn't ever notice coming up against it, but it was there.
lost_eden

Postby Fawksie on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:55 am

Yes, it's what we like to summarise as "don't take the piss". However nobody has ever been sanctioned, warned or disconnected from BE for exceeding the FUP, since it's practically impossible to download enough, fast enough, to have a detrimental impact on other customers.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Timata on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Is BE even available in St. Andrews - their website does not list the exchange?
Timata

Postby Fawksie on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes, it should be... search http://www.beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=Exchanges for "ESSTA". An arbitrary 0133447 number from Google says BE is available. If your line is not a BT Wholesale line (BT, Post Office Home Phone, Sky etc.), it will report otherwise, since BE cannot be provided on non-Wholesale lines.
Fawksie
Administrator

Return to Advice Please!