Home

TheSinner.net

Where is allowed to trade on street?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Where is allowed to trade on street?

Postby liang484 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I have a plan to sell toys on the street in the town. I know I need a street trading licence as a street trader. What I don't know is where is allowed to trade once I've got my street trading licence. Market stance may be one option, but where else?

I've noticed some performers play and collect money on the pavement of the street. As far as I know, Transportation won't allow trading on the pavement. I'm also curious if they have permission to do so. Furthermore, I start to imagine what will happen if I sell without permission.

Can anyone give me some information or advice?
Last edited by liang484 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liang484

Re: Where is allowed to trade on street?

Postby Fawksie on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm pretty sure Fife Council will be able to tell you when you enquire about the licence.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby liang484 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Fawksie wrote:I'm pretty sure Fife Council will be able to tell you when you enquire about the licence.

I do contacted the licensing administrator. She helped me to get answers from Transportation. Transportation mentioned that the square near the Pizza Expression is only available for charity. The pavement is not allowed for trading. But what I see is that one performer played and collected money for himself in the square. People sell ice cream on the pavement by the East Scores. So I'm quite confused that the information I got contradicts what I saw.
liang484

Postby kyra on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:53 pm

The second-hand book shop often has a stall next to the fountain at the top end of Market St. I've also seen a clothes stall there once. I suspect you need prior permission (probably like a booking or something) to sell there though.
kyra

Postby Law student on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Playing music on the street is not trading. I won't elaborate further as I can't be arsed!
Law student

Postby liang484 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 am

kyra wrote:The second-hand book shop often has a stall next to the fountain at the top end of Market St. I've also seen a clothes stall there once. I suspect you need prior permission (probably like a booking or something) to sell there though.

Yes, you are right. I contacted Fife Council. the Market Stances in Market Street are for street trading but traders need to book one from St Andrews Local Office.

Also, buskers don't need a street trading licence.
liang484

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Law student wrote:Playing music on the street is not trading. I won't elaborate further as I can't be arsed!

What if you're playing with sticks with flaming kevlar on the end?

Postby jollytiddlywink on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 am

Guest wrote:
Law student wrote:Playing music on the street is not trading. I won't elaborate further as I can't be arsed!

What if you're playing with sticks with flaming kevlar on the end?

The police might take a dim view, regardless of how vehemently you insist its a game of pooh-sticks.
jollytiddlywink

Postby stripedtights on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Ooh ive considered the flaming kevlar route too! although i really want to do it on the roundabout by the whey pat. I dont think id survive to long though:(
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Return to Advice Please!