Home

TheSinner.net

The cost of a scone

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

The cost of a scone

Postby FieryFairy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:11 pm

This is maybe a odd, but I am a bit bored and trying to work out if it is cheaper for me to buy scones (and then possibly muffins) from Tesco/Morrisons or to bake them. I suspect it is cheaper to buy them.

In calculating this I need to know how much, roughly, it would cost to have my electric fan oven on assuming I have it on for 5 minutes heating up, then 12 minutes baking, at 220 for scones (180 for muffins).

Does anyone, for example a physicist (they always know these sort of things) have any idea of this?

Thank you! :D
FieryFairy

Re: The cost of a scone

Postby 5HT on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 pm

What a thing to think about - it's probably quite complicated, you'd have to think about things like the heat capacity of the scones I geuss..
5HT

Postby donpablo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:57 am

It's not complicated at all and I'm no physicist.

Using the rough figures that I have...

Cost of electricity 12p/kwh
Oven rating 2.5kw
Cost per minute of running oven on full power = (12/60) * 2.5 = .5p

Even running the thing at full power for 17 minutes will only cost at most 8.5p

Divide that by number of delicious scones / muffins and add to cost of ingredients per unit.

It's probably still cheaper to make them yourself if you make a dozen or so.
donpablo

Postby wild_quinine on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:31 pm

donpablo wrote:Using the rough figures that I have...

Cost of electricity 12p/kwh

I think that, for most plans, the cost of electricity units scale somewhat depending on how many you use? (And even where you live?) Not criticising, just wondering where the average came from.

Also, I have to ask - FieryFairy, are you really big on scones and trying to save money, or are you trying to win a beer bet or something?
wild_quinine

Postby FieryFairy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Very helpful replies, thank you! I think you can buy value scones at Morrisons at about 28p for 8, but even then it is probably cheaper and more satisfying to make my own.

wild_quinine wrote:Also, I have to ask - FieryFairy, are you really big on scones and trying to save money, or are you trying to win a beer bet or something?

And I am afraid to say I am actually just big on scones... No beer bet to settle here!
FieryFairy

Postby fluffy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Morrisons value will taste nowhere near as good as your own.
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Postby Delts on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Last I checked the average price per kWh was 16p, hardly a massive increase though per scone.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby donpablo on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 pm

wild_quinine wrote:I think that, for most plans, the cost of electricity units scale somewhat depending on how many you use? (And even where you live?) Not criticising, just wondering where the average came from.

My latest bill funnily enough. :P
donpablo

Return to Advice Please!