Home

TheSinner.net

Work behaving badly

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Work behaving badly

Postby Ellkie on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Good evening,
I have been in my new job now for nearly 6 months and I feel that things are not as they should be. Apart from nasty emails behind my back, not paying staff their full wage, cutting my shifts to 1 or 2 a week and hinting that they might fire me, they also appear to loose my payslips on a regular basis. Their excuse is always 'its the accountants fault'. All the staff at my work had to wait months for payslips before receiving them, eventually they arrived not including mine. We get paid weekly and so I should be in possession of about 24, I have 3. I have just received a text saying the accountant has no idea why my slips have been missed out but he has copies of them all and can get the copies out to me.

I wonder if someone can put my mind at ease over this problem and are copies just as legitimate as the originals or should I push for originals? Should I inform HMRC over this situation or am I blowing it out of context?

Cheers guys.x
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re: Work behaving badly

Postby Lilith on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Push for the originals! You have to stand up to these mother-fuckers! This post has made me angry!

Copies of the pay-slips are the least of your problems here. Though you probably have the right to take them to court over this. If you're a student you can get free legal advice. Please speak to someone professional about this.

Why are you worried about copies though surely you must be more pissed off that they're not paying you your full wage. Also, sending emails behind your back, this is bullying. You can't stand for this. >:(
Lilith

Postby Hennessy on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 pm

If they fire you for no good reason all this is gold for an employment tribunal. Having been to one recently myself as an assistant I can tell you justice is very slow though, if they don't settle you could be waiting 2+ years for a resolution. Helps to know a good lawyer who knows a barrister and even better if they'll put it under their pro bono work for the year. Unlikely however, most of the barristers I know are rather left-wing and so won't take a case pb unless it's from a barely literate asylum seeker so they can bask in the afterglow of righting wrongs and fixing a broken system etc etc ad nauseam. If you're white and British then you can forget about it, frankly.

Till then keep records of everything until you think you have enough evidence and then confront your manager or whoever's job it is to look after the care of workers. Do you have a union rep? Unlikely if you're paid weekly. There are several national unions who offer legal advice with membership so maybe have a look. Take it from there and see what happens.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Ellkie on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

On Friday I gave my assistant manager and manager 2 weeks notice and wrote it in writing for the owners. I went back later that night and two of the owners were present so I told them verbally too. No surprise, but one of them just blew up, calling me names and threatening me with allsorts. He tried to blame me for all the problems I've been having there. I stuck up for myself, didn't raise by voice. He said I was smug and unprofessional. After I left I was getting texts from members of staff saying they had had a massive barney, a very heated discussion, one of them even cried. Later on I got a text from a staff member saying all my shifts (4) for the next two weeks have been covered. I work in a bar btw.

From research I believe that I am entitled to 1 weeks notice pay for the hours I could have worked and my holiday pay. I have an appointment early Jan with Citizens Advice but with very little documentation to show I don't know where I stand.

Anyway, keep you updated, I'm on the hunt for a new job.
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Return to Advice Please!