Home

TheSinner.net

Mac lab?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Mac lab?

Postby Todd on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello!

Does anybody know if any of the computer labs have Macs available for use? One of my lecturers put all his powerpoint diagrams in a format that I'm pretty sure will only display in Keynote, and I don't have a mac.

Any help is appreciated.
Todd

Re: Mac lab?

Postby 5HT on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

There are no longer mac labs (except possibly in computer science, i dunno) - there did use to be back in the day.. i would suggest writing to him, putting ppts in keynote format is just silly..
5HT

Postby 5HT on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Todd wrote:Hello!

Does anybody know if any of the computer labs have Macs available for use? One of my lecturers put all his powerpoint diagrams in a format that I'm pretty sure will only display in Keynote, and I don't have a mac.

Any help is appreciated.

or just ask one of the many hundreds of students who has a mac to convert it for you..
5HT

Postby Todd on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm

5HT wrote:or just ask one of the many hundreds of students who has a mac to convert it for you..

Is it that easy? The problem is that the images require Quicktime and a compressor, so I figured each image would need to be individually changed to a windows-compatible file type. That sounds like a bit of a hassle. Maybe there is some kind of convert-everything function. That'd be nice.
Todd

Postby lost_eden on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 pm

The only lab with Macs is the subhonours lab in Computer Science, which you cannot access unless you are a Computer Scientist. I suggest you email your lecturer to explain the situation, as he cannot realistically expect his students to review his material if it is not made available in a format that can be opened by the University's public access computers - not every student here is a blind, MacBook-wielding Apple devotee after all!
lost_eden

Return to Advice Please!