Home

TheSinner.net

David Russell Studio Appartments photos/info?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

David Russell Studio Appartments photos/info?

Postby Chrisbe on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi there!

I've just recieved an offer to study a Masters at St Andrews starting next September, now the issue is ofcourse accomodation. I've been considering David Russell appartments as I would ideally like a studio appartment to share with my boyfriend, preferably catered. My only issue is really that I live many miles away and can't have a browse around the studio appartments to see what they look like, and there are no photographs of them online.

Is there anyone out there who currently lives in one of these and could advise me on how they are, or possibly send me a photograph? Any info would be great, the last thing I want to do is get a place I'm not happy with :)

Cheers and thanks!
Chris :D
Chrisbe

Re: David Russell Studio Appartments photos/info?

Postby dra on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

There's pictures here, if you click on 'images':

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/ac ... idrussell/

DRA is really nice, but it's a good 25min walk into town.
dra

Postby Jaella on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Haven't seen the place, but my friend lived with her boyfriend there and started looking for sth different immediately after arriving (quite small and not worth the price, especially cause it's far). Found cheaper and better place for two in the center.
Of course it's just one case but I happen to know no other.
Jaella

Postby chrisbe on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 am

thanks guys :)
chrisbe

Postby matthew086 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:33 pm

This helped. My partner and I are also interested in David Russell but it looks remotely located from the centre.

@Chrisbe - by any change did you get a confirmation of receipt from the university? I've applied for accommodation on the first weeks of February and I haven't heard of them yet. It's getting a bit concerning ...
matthew086

Postby ONeill on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:31 pm

The distance of DRA from the centre of town can be a major negative for a lot of people however there are a few positives. If you are studying at the North Haugh then it's not that far a walk. It's also in close proximity to the Sports Centre/Gym which is handy if you intend to use that on a regular basis. If most of your classes are in town and you intend to spend a lot of time in the library then distance will certainly be more of an issue.
ONeill

Postby hello398yw9o on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:13 pm

the pictures on that website are not of the studio apartments, they are for the sharing apartments
hello398yw9o

Postby josdad on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:51 am

I am feeling guilty about not answering this earlier. I was in one of these Studio Apartments last academic year. Notes: The rooms are approximately 15ft square with a corner cut off for the shower room and the reat of that side fitted out as a kitchen.
Provision of furniture etc is odd. The King sized bed, with a bedside cabinet and light on each side is fine, but there is no easy chair or bookcase. There is, however a dishwasher.
No chest of drawers: the clothes hanging area is open with four shelves beside it. In general the quality of finish leaves something to be desired: the breakfast bar is bare chipboard at the end, and the shower room door has not been damp-proofed and so is rotting at the bottom after only a few years.
There is a work surface beside the door with an office chair, plenty of electrical sockets, telephone and lan connection, but no drawer or filing space.
The distance from town has been overstressed: there is a bus every 20 mins (usually!) between town and DRA, fare £5.50 for 7days unlimited travel between town and DRA. The walk is perfectly possible, and in fine weather a short diversion via Ladebraes is a good start to the day.
josdad

Return to Advice Please!