Home

TheSinner.net

Guardbridge

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Guardbridge

Postby finahk on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

Does anyone know much about the guardbridge area? Am considering moving out there but want to know more about practical aspects of living there-i.e shops, daycare (I have a child), safety etc. The only thing I know about the place is that there is a regular bus route from St Andrews. Any info would be much appreciated.

Finah
finahk

Re: Guardbridge

Postby Jaella on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 am

according to wiki
The village has become a very popular dormitory settlement due to its close proximity to St Andrews and Dundee.
Guardbridge has a number of local amenities including a school, general store, garages, hotel, takeaway food shop, hairdresser, furniture maker, and bowling and fishing clubs.
Jaella

Re: Guardbridge

Postby Stu on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:54 am

There's a popular and modern fish and chip shop near the roundabout at the St Andrews end. The 'general store' isn't exactly a Tesco Metro or even a Spar. If you enjoy the decor of Aikman's then you might like it.

I think the hotel has closed now, so unless you join the bowling club then it's carry-outs only booze-wise, and I'm not sure if the general store even sells alcohol.

There are a couple of other shops including a hairdresser, an accountant and a garage, but that's about it, apart from the primary school. Not sure about childcare.

And even though it's quite small, the village is really stretched out along the main road, so if you're at the Leuchars end - particularly the council estate right at the end called the Honky Tonk, which isn't far from the train station - then you're a good mile from anything; in fact from there you' might be better wandering up to Leuchars village where there's at least a decent Spar and a couple of pubs, although they're not exactly student-oriented.

Although there are no 'posh' bits in Guardbridge it's a safe enough environment, but apart from being cheaper than St As and good for transport - car, bus or train, and there's also the cycle path to St As - otherwise there's not a whole lot there.
Stu

Return to Advice Please!