Home

TheSinner.net

St Andrews to London Transport Suggestions

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

St Andrews to London Transport Suggestions

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am

Hi;

I'm going to London at the end of March, staying for a few days, and coming back. Please share any suggestions you have - preferably on personal experience- on how to get there.

Thank you :)

Re: St Andrews to London Transport Suggestions

Postby jollytiddlywink on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:52 pm

If you want an easy and fast journey, without any great concern for the cost, then you can get a train ticket Leuchars-London, and if you get the right train, it will take you all the way to London without any changes, and its a fast train. If you leave St Andrews at about 7am, you'll be in the capital for lunch. Only problem with that is that, especially for tickets only a fortnight away, it will likely cost rather a lot.
You might manage to get cheaper train tickets on the megabus site, which could work for you. I'd recommend not using Megabus for travelling down or back. I did that once, and swore never to do it again, regardless of how cheap it is. The driver on the trip down was astonishingly rude and the toilet broke. The trip back left London at 23:50, got into Dundee at about 9am, and was hellish. It was jam-packed and the air-conditioning broke, so we all sweltered. I've been better hydrated at the the end of half-marathons.
jollytiddlywink

Postby FirstyB on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm

If you have a railcard, a return ticket for the direct train (abit less than 6 hours) is usually about 65-70 pounds, sometimes you might be able to get it a little cheaper. Some people use thetrainline.com since it searches all the train companies, but i've found it doesn't always take into account "internet only" discounts. I usually get the tickets straight from eastcoast.co.uk (which i think is the only direct train), but check both to see the best deal you can get.

Other people fly to london and you can sometimes get a 5 pound flight, but the time and money spent on; getting to edinburgh, waiting for the plane, flying, and then getting from stanstead airport (a 15 pound one way train...), it usually works out cheaper and quicker to do it by train. You also get to sit in one place and not constantly changing transport.

I fully agree with whats said about the bus as well. Its cheaper, but god you'll feel horrible after it...
Hope it helps!
FirstyB

Postby stripedtights on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Meh, we are students: man up and get the bus, its NOT that bad. Just take some spare deoderant to offer the sweaty person next to you.. :laugh:
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Postby What? on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 pm

If money was no object I'd take the flight from Dundee to London City with Cityjet, there might be affordable deals on daytime flights as well. You can leave St Andrews at 10am and be in Central London by 1.
What?

Postby hannahd on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am

People always forget the amazing overnight train! It leaves from Leuchars and you get to sleep happily and wake up all refreshed for your arrival in London in the morning. :)
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html
Could probably get cheaper deals through the travel agents in St Andrews

Also, nationalrail.com is cheaper than thetrainline.com - no booking fee. :)
hannahd

Postby lgf on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:41 pm

I took the megabus Newcastle-London for a flight and didn't really find it that bad. Considering what you're saving vs. train fare (I paid £2.50 inc. booking fee :D ) it's definitely worth thinking about.
lgf

Postby Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 pm

For about 77 pounds I went round trip Leuchars to Kings Cross. It's really simple taking the bus over and the train down.
:D

Return to Advice Please!