Home

TheSinner.net

JSA Interest in Ball Culture

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

JSA Interest in Ball Culture

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am

When applying, I heard much fuss about the balls held here. I've seen advertisments around now for the Masquerade and for the May Ball.

What sort of music do they play? Is it okay to go completely alone? Do people actually wear nice, promlike, evening gown dresses? What do you recommend in having a good time? What do the tickets range between and is it seen as more of an elitist amusement?

Please share anything you want about the ball culture. Thank you ^.^

Re: JSA Interest in Ball Culture

Postby Someguy on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 am

When I was getting ready to come over to St. Andrews for my first year, I had some of the same questions. Basically,

Balls aren't an elitist amusement. It IS quite prom-like as far as dress is concerned, but people tend not to go in couples (I've actually never seen this happen). Instead, you'll go with friends, look nice, have an opportunity to drink until your face melts (for a price), and dance to the one or two bands who plays every ball/top40 hits DJ who's on afterward. Some balls offer a dinner ticket, but I've never bothered with it so I can't tell you what that's like.

Assuming you're in New Hall or DRA, they each have their own ball. If nothing else, give them a try.
Someguy

Return to Advice Please!