Home

TheSinner.net

Comprehensive Gown Info Thread

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Comprehensive Gown Info Thread

Postby Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I did a search for "gown", "red gown", "academic gown" etc. Lots of interesting things came up. A lot has been from several years past, so somethings may be outdated. Here is a list of good things to know:

History
When to wear it
Cost
Size

Anything else?

Re: Comprehensive Gown Info Thread

Postby Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Is it true that you can climb Rule's tower for free if you're wearing your gown? Does that include entrance to the cathedral museum?

Are there other such perks around town?

Postby Amorphous on Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I can't confirm/deny the tower thing, but you DO get free entry to the castle. And then you get photographed by tourists. :)
Amorphous

Postby Hennessy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:44 pm

History:
Don't know much here I'm afraid, apart from it was used as a form of identification to stop students visiting houses of ill repute and mixing with the locals in taverns (at some point it became obvious students didn't need to wear large brightly coloured garments to avoid locals. Been to the Keys lately? How about the Stables?). Apparently up until recently three or more students wearing gowns constituted a procession and could legally stop traffic.

When to wear it:
Can be worn to debates. Definitely do not wear it while buying sundries in a supermarket - you just look like the sad case you probably are. Best advice is to wear it at night when there are fewer chances be seen looking like a tosspot, and it's warm.

Cost:
£110-130 new. Various used.

Size:
It has sizes from small to extra large. I'm 6"2 and weigh around 13 stone and a large suited me fine.

Anything else:
Conventions for wearing it are somewhere in the University's material. First years wear it normally, don't hook up the front (I don't know why - perhaps so you can escape from it more easily if someone normal sees you). Some people get strings in first year to hang off it. Second years wear it off one shoulder, 3rd years off other shoulder (left/right?). 4th years are called magistrands and wear it off both shoulders which makes it even more of a pain in the arse.

Tower costs money and you need to buy the chips for entry from the cathedral gift shop or as part of a multi-ticket from the castle. Castle on its own is free.

More info here: http://www.thesinner.net/guide/Gowns
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby jollytiddlywink on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Hennessy wrote:Conventions for wearing it are somewhere in the University's material. First years wear it normally, don't hook up the front (I don't know why - perhaps so you can escape from it more easily if someone normal sees you). Some people get strings in first year to hang off it. Second years wear it off one shoulder, 3rd years off other shoulder (left/right?). 4th years are called magistrands and wear it off both shoulders which makes it even more of a pain in the arse.

Correct except that 2nd years wear it perched on the tip of both shoulders, and 3rd years wear it off one shoulder. Third year scientists wear it off their right shoulder, because they think they're always right, while third year artists wear if off their left shoulder, as they tend to be leftists. And four years do indeed wear it off both shoulders, which means perching it in the crook of both elbows, and walking round like a cross between a yah-girl and a fork-lift.
jollytiddlywink

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 pm

I don't care if it's tradition; I won't ever wear it on my elbows or way off my shoulders. Sorry, but it's too much of a hassle.

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 am

You have to pay to climb Rule's.

Castle entrance, though, is free.

Postby hannahd on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:10 pm

A lot of people wear them in Sallies to dinner on a Thursday night, and then go to the Byre to the Jazz night in their gowns too.

Also good to wear gowns at the St Salvator's Chapel Sunday morning service or the Pier Walk.
hannahd

Return to Advice Please!