Home

TheSinner.net

Useless Councils

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Useless Councils

Postby jollytiddlywink on Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Hello,

I'm not going to go on a rant, but I'll just say that I've been dealing with my local council (no longer Fife Council) since January, trying to sort out council tax/student status. Dealing with them by phone, letter and email has gotten no progress at all, to very briefly summarise things.

My current plan is to go to the local community office tomorrow, get to the office of somebody in the correct department, and (politely) refuse to leave until the whole mess is sorted.

Any thoughts?
jollytiddlywink

Re: Useless Councils

Postby wild_quinine on Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah.

1) Go early. Really early.

2) Don't use it as an opporunity to rant. A surprising number of human beings work on Council service desks.

3) Asking to see someone works, but showing up unnanounced at a managers office won't. So start with a Service Desk, at least.

Be really clear, and avoid getting fobbed off by getting them to give you advice that's as specific as possible, as to how best to get your problem resolved.

Most people want to help.
wild_quinine

Postby jollytiddlywink on Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks WQ. I wasn't intending to rant. It might make me feel better in the short-term, but it won't fix anything and it certainly won't make the other person, whose fault it certainly isn't, any more disposed to help me.

I'll go as early as I can, but I can't just drop in. I have to ring for an appointment (which they arrange only on the day), so I'll be ringing when the lines open in the morning.

I'll keep in mind the point about really specific advice. Cheers.
jollytiddlywink

Postby Hennessy on Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 pm

That was a joke in poor taste and I regret posting it.

BALEETED!

(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baleeted)
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Return to Advice Please!