Home

TheSinner.net

Exam worries

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Exam worries

Postby Guest on Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Hello,

In order to be accpeted into honours I need an 11. The exam did not go well, I not sure if I'll get an 11 but I think I will pass.

If this is the case then will I be allowed to resit the examination in an attempt to get my 11?

Surely it's not the case that someone who receives a 6 is allowed to resit and thus has a chance of honours while someone who receives a 9ish not be allowed and thus not be permitted to continue.

My results have been good up until my last exam, I failed at the last hurdle.

Re: Exam worries

Postby Ex on Sun May 29, 2011 9:37 am

You cannot resit an exam in an attempt to get a better exam. Only those who obtain a mark between 4 and 6.9 are eligible for reassessment.

If it turns out that you did fail and as a result are not eligible for entry to honours the following may be useful to you which is available at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/ad ... s/#Honours
Q: I didn't get into Honours, what should I do?
A: If you haven’t met the published requirements for entry to Honours, and have appropriate grounds, you may appeal the Honours entry decision. The appeal procedure can be found in Appeals, complaints and discipline, Honours entry for students who did not get the required grade is entirely at the discretion of the School and you should contact the School as soon as possible. You should explain why you failed to meet the requirements, and how you would prevent similar problems in the future.
You will not be permitted to repeat modules in order to attain higher marks, but you may wish to change your Honours subject. If you do wish to discuss changing your degree structure, or for advice on not getting entry to Honours, contact the Pro Dean (Advising). Please note that the Pro Dean is not a route of appeal.

Dependant on how many credits you have, (since you say you were doing well before this one exam) perhaps you might be able to trail credits into honours. When the results come out, and if you did not get the results you expect, I'm sure that either your School or the Registry office will be able to provide you with further guidance on this, if applicable.
Ex

Postby Inform on Sun May 29, 2011 9:11 pm

When I was at St. Andrews standard resit marks (those not deferred due to special circumstances) were capped at 5 (which was then the pass mark). I would imagine that marks are now capped at 7 or (as you said) getting just below a pass mark could be potentially advantageous.

If you're really worried probably the best thing to do would be to talk to your advisor who may refer you to a Dean/head of school etc.
Inform

Postby SimplyDimply on Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 pm

It really depends on the department, the lecturers are usually looking to help you but it's usually up to the head of school.
If you are really worried contact your advisor of studies asap. Hope you get it all sorted.
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
- Virginia Woolf -
SimplyDimply

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 pm

When you resit you can only get a 7, i.e., if you failed, then you can't score higher than a 7 on the resit.

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I got my results. Disappointed. Somewhat depressed.

I got a 10.3.

What are my chances?

Postby blaboobeddy on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:46 am

For some subjects, entry into honours depends on the average of your results over both semesters, rather than requiring that you get an 11 in both exams - check with your advisor/in the honours handbook of your specific subject to find out if that's the case.

Infact, speak to your advisor anyway. The more interest and enthusiasm you can show, the better. They're human beings, after all.
blaboobeddy

Return to Advice Please!