Home

TheSinner.net

Anyone else in Hamilton Hall triple room?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Anyone else in Hamilton Hall triple room?

Postby AdamG on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:19 am

Received my accomodation information last Friday, and I'm going to be in a triple room in Hamilton Hall. A couple of quick questions about, and answers would be highly appreciated:
- Anyone know what sort of size this room will be?
- Anyone here also going to be in a triple room in Hamilton Hall?
Thanks, Adam
AdamG

Regent's Room

Postby stan-drews on Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:00 am

I'm in Hamilton this year after a break of a year. In first year I was in room six, next door to the Regents room. I can only imagine you are in the Regents room, this was occupied in my first year but was used as a common room last year. Anyway, this room is MASSIVE. You will have fantastic views out of about six different windows looking over the Old Course and the west sands. Downside is that you won't have any phone points or network connections, unless they have installed some but I doubt they would be that organised. Although, if you take this room you get priority next year so if you want to get back into Hamilton the next year, you will almost certainly get in. That's quite a guarantee. This room by the way is also quite pretty. Don't know if you will have two other roommates though as though there were three beds in there two years ago, there were only two girls. Hopefully I haven't incorrectly guessed your room, I can't think anywhere else they could put three beds. All that aside, I look forward to meeting everyone in Hamilton this year.
stan-drews

Re:

Postby Aureliano on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:51 pm

Noooooooo... the Regent's is gone again?

Ack. Not that I really even used it that often for studying or arsing around. Just seems slightly overcrowded again with one less common room. Oh well, we'll all just have to crash your room at ghastly hours coming back from the bop every friday night. Ha! Problem solved.

All joking aside, it really is a lovely room. Yes, no phone or network points - but the windows are huge and the view is stunning. Even with furniture for three, you should have enough room to do cartwheels and what not.

A warm welcome to Hamilton, see you in a few weeks.
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Mad_About_Miffy on Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:22 pm

I never knew they used the Regents room as a bedroom! And a triple room? That is really strange! I can't imagine what it would be like to have 2 room mates! What are they going to do about the doors? It's got a heck of a lot of windows though and it is huuuge!! Sorry I just can't believe this!! But you'll love it there!
Mad_About_Miffy

Re:

Postby LG82 on Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:17 pm

Welcome to Hamilton!

It's a pretty cool place to live, i'm going back for my 3rd year there now (4th Floor) I just can't keep away.
It was in my first yr that the Regents room was used as a bedroom (if this is the room you have been allocated it will prob be known as room 5) They cover all of the windows with dark curtains so no reason to worry there. Its one of the nicest rooms in the building.

See you in 2 weeks!

:-)
LG82

Thanks for info, one other question...

Postby AdamG on Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:43 pm

Thanks for all the information and the possible place for the room, its very interesting and exciting. I was also wondering, does Hamilton Hall supply any cutlery , pans, etc for the kitchens or do we bring entirely our own? Also, how many floors does the building have?
Thanks once more, Adam
AdamG

Re:

Postby AdamG on Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:44 pm

Remember, while I have been told I'm going to be in a triple room, its not the Reagent for certain. Could it be any other room? I guess we'll just have to wait until moving in begins to see for certain. Not too long to go now...
AdamG

Re:

Postby LG82 on Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:20 pm

arghhhh i forgot to log in, the message below should actually be from me LG82

Sorry!
LG82

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:30 am

Hello again!

In my first yr it was the Regents Room and a TV room in the annexe Eden Court (just up the road from main hall - rooms on contracts normally labelled EC, HA for main hall)were both triple rooms. There is maybe one more room that could possibly be a triple but it has only ever been a double in the past. So, I imagine that you may be in the Regents room, or Room 5 as it will be known when used as a study bedroom.

As far as kitchens go, there are 2 in Hamilton to provide for 5 floors (about 120ish people in total), the limited amount of cuttlery and pans etc that is there is not often left in the state that it is found and most people would rather bring their own to use, i know I do.

I will try and introduce myself in freshers week, and if you need anything just ask, Hamilton is a very friendly place, and there are loads of returning students like myself who know the in's and out's of hall life.

Anyway, good luck with your packing and see you in two weeks.

Louise

Re:

Postby AdamG on Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:05 am

Thanks for the further information, it would be good to meet you all.
Looking at my information, my room number is 'HA/RG1c', so it must be in the main building. Anyo0ne know for certain which room this is?
Sorry about all the questions, though I only found out about this site yesterday! Any info is highly appreciated.
Thanks, Adam
AdamG

Re:

Postby LG82 on Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:27 am

I could be wrong of course but RG probably stands for Regents Room and 1c (a, b, and c for 3 people, your roomies will have been allocated 1a and 1b)almost definately means 1st floor and the regents room is on the first floor.

I reckon you're pretty much definately in the Regents room, I live and work in Hamilton so I know the building pretty well. Everyone will be envious of your views!!

Anymore q's feel free, anything to distract me from my driving theory revision!!

See you in less than 2 weeks!

Lou
LG82

Re:

Postby AdamG on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:26 pm

I too had the feeling the code seems to say that it is the Reagent Room. This is all getting quite exciting now! Thanks again for the info, and hope your theory revision going well.
Reading over my information it says that I will be in there with up to 3 other ppl, so there could even, though I can't be certain, be four of us...
AdamG

Re:

Postby Scarlet on Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:04 am

First of all, welcome to Hamilton!

I too was in first year when the Regent's Room was used last as a bedroom but it think that time it was intended as a triple room but the third person never showed up so it remained a double. Don't worry, it's a MASSIVE room and there will be plently of space for all the people. WHen they also had the Eden Court TV room as a triple they broke the room up with a few screens and things to make it less like a common room and more like a bedroom. You have the best views in the whole of St Andrews - enjoy! Oh, and you'll probably have the newest furniture in the whole of good old Hamilton!!
Scarlet

Re:

Postby AdamG on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:49 am

Thanks for everyone who have so far posted on this message, I honestly can not wait to start, it would also be nice to meet some of you also. At least you all know where to find me!
AdamG
AdamG

Re:

Postby LG82 on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:47 pm

Hey!

Theory revision paid off thanks, I passed today!!! Yippee!!!!
Now I have no excuses whatsoever for putting off my packing!!

Anyway see you in just over a week!
Any more q's just ask on here or find me in hamilton next week!

Happy packing!!

Louise
LG82

Re:

Postby Tor on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:55 am

Hello!.....im in a hamilton triple room as a fresher too....I was wondering if anyone knew what type of room mine is - HA/ECCR1a....i worked out that the HA is hamilton but the rest is confusing!,
Tor

Re:

Postby tor on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:56 am

Hmm...ive just looked at my letter, and it suggests that im in Eden Court...(ECCR)..does anyone know what thats like?! (is THAT the one with the view?) Hey if im in a triple in eden court then i must be in the common room - how strange!
tor

Re:

Postby AdamG on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:57 am

Congratulations on passing your theory, thats great news, now onto your driving test...
Here's another question... when I arrive on the 20th do I come straight to Hamilton Hall and see someone there who will show me my room, or do I go somewhere else first? Sorry if this question sounds a bit confusing, hopefully you will get the idea.
Thanks
AdamG

Re:

Postby LG82 on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:05 am

Hello again!

Adam - thanks!! yep you come straight to Hamilton and someone will show you to your room (not sure who, but i'm coming up on friday so i may be around)

Tor - Eden Court is a big white house just up the road from Hamilton on The Scores. Sounds like they've converted the common room/tv room into a room again. I've never lived in Eden court always main hall but there seems to be a great atmosphere there and it's a lovely building. :-) I'm sure you'll love it :-) On the first day, ppl in Eden Court come to Hamilton to get their keys too. There are a couple of past/future Eden Courters that have been posting on this thread so they may tell you more... :-)

Hope this helps
See you all a week today

Louise
LG82

past Eden Courters...

Postby Scarlet on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:02 pm

is that my queue Louise?!

Yep, by the sounds of it you're in what was the TV room which was a triple 2 years ago as well. It's a good size of a room and like I said earlier, they'll probably try to divide it up a bit to give you all some privacy. The only bad thing i would warn you about the room is there are only skylights, no windows and you won't have sinks in the room but they will give you a priority pass to get back into hall another year to compensate i would imagine (trust me a good thing after basically everyone tried to get back in last year and there were a lot of disappointments). Eden Court was the place to be last year, it was such good fun because it's that bit smaller and we were all great friends. A lot of those people are back there this year (you wont miss them, they'll be the over excited welcoming committee in Eden Court i imagine!!)
Scarlet

Next

Return to Advice Please!