Home

TheSinner.net

Importance of getting a first

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Importance of getting a first

Postby megan on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 am

Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone thinks about how important it is to get a first?

I've come back into third year from a year abroad, and whilst I'm finding it a bit difficult to get back to the swing of things and my concentration span has gone out the window, I came back full of energy to try really hard and aim for a first. I've had a couple of marks back so far which whilst they're not that bad, they're certainly not firsts. But I feel like I've put all I can into assessments and I don't know what more I can do. So maybe I should set my sights on a 2:1 instead and not continually feel disappointed in myself. I know a first obviously makes you stand out a lot, but in reality how important is it? Will not getting a first put me at a disadvantage? I'm not wanting to go into academia.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
megan

Re: Importance of getting a first

Postby Captain Slow on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Many of the graduate jobs require a 2:1, a 1st will just make you a more attractive proposition in the same way that extracurricular activities would. Thats my experiene anyway.

Aim for a 1st, be happy with a 2:1.
Captain Slow

Return to Advice Please!