Home

TheSinner.net

Choirs

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Choirs

Postby Curious on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:35 pm

Just was curious if anyone could tell me anything about the choirs at St.Andrews? Are any of them difficult to get into? Are there many postgraduates?
Curious

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:33 am

[s]Unregisted User Curious wrote on 07:17, 6th Jun 2004:
Just was curious if anyone could tell me anything about the choirs at St.Andrews? Are any of them difficult to get into? Are there many postgraduates?

I THINK there are three choirs (Madrigal group, chapel group, and one other?)

How easy they are to get into, or the postgrad situation is, i don't know. i think that if you can fill a part in the chopir and are good enough then they'll have you, but i'm not 100% sure on that.
[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Sweet_Psyche on Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:12 am

The third choir is St Andrews Chorus, which is town and gown. There's a mix of non-uni individuals, uni staff, postgrads and undergrads. No audition is required, just turn up on friday nights at 7.30pm during term time. I think the membership fee for students is £20 per year

Information about the various choirs should be available from the st andrews website (which unfortuntaley keeps crashing out at the moment)
Sweet_Psyche

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:09 pm

In addition to the Chapel Choir, Madrigal Group and St Andrews Chorus already mentioned, there is also the University Chorus (part of MusSoc, unauditioned, sing variety of music - usually lighter music in Martinmas Semester, and an Oretorio or Mass in Candlemas Semester, both undergrads and postgrads are members of it), St Leonard's Choir (Auditioned, sing Latin Compeline mass at St Leonard's Chapel on Thursdays), The Renaissance Choir (sing Renaissance music, auditioned I think), The University Singers (auditioned small chamber choir, part of MusSoc). There are also various church choirs at the various churches in St Andrews.

For more information contact the Music Centre - http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/music
immunodiffusion

Thanks!

Postby Curious on Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:22 pm

Thanks for all of the info guys. I'll look into the website and do some emailing. I was in my University's elite choir for 4 years and traveled all around. I was hoping I could keep that up when I head to St. Andrews.
Curious

jazz??

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:30 pm

are there any jazz choirs?

Return to Advice Please!