Home

TheSinner.net

Library Yah (yes i know its rare)

Seen someone you fancy, or think you saw someone checking you out? Post a message to see if they want to get in touch...

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:17 pm

actually for your benefit I'll spell it out:

I was highlighting (in what I thought was an obvious fashion) just how ridicously stupid and intellectually short sighted making brash, overarching judgments of groups based on horrible stereotypes are.

Which is exactly what these people were doing saying things like 'all yahs are cunts'.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby felix on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 18:15, 10th Mar 2008
It's quite ironic that you completely lost the irony of my post and did exactly what I'd expect...which was to get offended.

First of all, no-one was insulting "Yahs" as a whole group of people. The OP was expressing annoyance about an experience with one particular "yah", in which she seems to be quite justified in doing so. Secondly, you seem to be get confused over what the term "yah" is actually referring to. No-one is judging all posh English people from a rich background and saying that they all behave in a particular way, which is what you seem to be getting defensive about, maybe you should re-read the post by munchingfoo explaining this.

Also, insulting all Scottish people for no apparent reason is just silly, and not surprisingly, quite likely to cause offense.

[hr]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission
felix

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:01 pm

I see what you are trying to do here Unixkid, nice try but things don't work that way. Yah's and Chavs are social constructs, Scottish people are historical constructs (ie, they actually exist and can be counted!)

And don't keep trying to piss on your hosts, it's bad form.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby What? on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 18:17, 10th Mar 2008
actually for your benefit I'll spell it out:

I was highlighting (in what I thought was an obvious fashion) just how ridicously stupid and intellectually short sighted making brash, overarching judgments of groups based on horrible stereotypes are.

Which is exactly what these people were doing saying things like 'all yahs are cunts'.

no need for it to be spelled out, i'm holding my hands up and admitting i skim-read the post.
What?

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 pm

No problem What?.

Felix, you too have missed the point of my post, please re-read it.

Hennessy I hate to disagree with you but the idea of nationality is a social construct in exactly the same way yahs and chavs are. Neither of them exist and neither of them can be counted. Unless of course you mean you can count the number of people who live in Scotland then I agree with you.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 19:36, 10th Mar 2008
No problem What?.

Felix, you too have missed the point of my post, please re-read it.

Hennessy I hate to disagree with you but the idea of nationality is a social construct in exactly the same way yahs and chavs are. Neither of them exist and neither of them can be counted. Unless of course you mean you can count the number of people who live in Scotland then I agree with you.

Imagonna teabag you REAL good, boy!

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

THAT'S NOT IRONY!

Postby Frank on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:14 pm

It's quite ironic that you completely lost the irony of my post and did exactly what I'd expect...which was to get offended.

http://benderirony.ytmnd.com/

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Quoting garnet from 15:21, 8th Mar 2008
photocopier bint story

You know, just stepping carefully around the shitstorm, that sort of thing is exactly the type of little niggling social faux pas that would aggravate me intensely but then as soon as I try to explain it to others they'd only look confused or shrug it off as nothing. But here I can fully relate. Thank you :)

The internet. Where everything matters.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Quoting Frank from 12:14, 11th Mar 2008

http://benderirony.ytmnd.com/

[hr]

It is if you're Alanis Morisette.
[hr]

"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby lts2 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:33 pm

I am quite sure Yah-bashing has little to do with jealousy of money. I don't like Yahs because my experiences with them have been bad over the past 5 years. And quite frankly I think many people would rather live in a hole in the badlands than be branded a Yah. Don't get me wrong, I completely believe that the rich need not fall into that catagory, its just a shame that so many do.

Yah doesn't mean 'rich person', it means 'rich person who is a cunt'

We shouldn't complain too much, luckily for the rest of us Yahs are fairly easy to avoid (except in the library to my great annoyance).
lts2

Re:

Postby Wonderboy on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:34 am

Quoting lts2 from 17:33, 13th Mar 2008

Yah doesn't mean 'rich person', it means 'rich person who is a cunt'

So being rich doesn't necessarily lead to one being a cunt. But as soon as someone is a cunt it seems to be assumed that it's because they are rich or that it is connected to them being rich so they are called a yah. This just seems to be an antipathy towards rich people that is just waiting to be let out. Looks like prejudice really. Either there is a connection between being rich and being a cunt or there isn't.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak? from two hundred yards away!
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Re:

Postby Wonderboy on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:55 am

Is it the being rich or being a cunt that causes you to call someone something derogatory i.e. yah?
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:15 am

Quoting Wonderboy from 03:55, 14th Mar 2008
Is it the being rich or being a cunt that causes you to call someone something derogatory i.e. yah?

umm i think that's obvious. being a cunt means yet called something derogatory, being a rich cunt you get the specific term meant for rich cunts - i.e. Yah

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby MJC on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 am

Are you worried abouot yourself, wonderboy?
MJC

Re:

Postby Wonderboy on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:36 am

Quoting theshadowhost from 09:15, 14th Mar 2008

umm i think that's obvious. being a cunt means yet called something derogatory, being a rich cunt you get the specific term meant for rich cunts - i.e. Yah

[hr]

I think you miss the point. If it is only the being a cunt which causes the use of the derogatory yah then the rich bit is redundant. In what way does the rich bit contribute towards the insult? What has being rich got to do with being a cunt? I think you unecessarily pevert the concept of cunt.

I think John Locke in his Essay Concerning Human Understaning is relevant here: From Chapter 22. Of Mixed Modes.
'For it is by their names that men commonly regulate their account of their distinct species of mixed modes, seldom allowing or considering any number of simple ideas to make one complex one, but such collections as there are names for.'
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Re:

Postby Wonderboy on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting MJC from 09:44, 14th Mar 2008

I won't give that pathetic ad hominem attack the time of day.
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Re:

Postby MJC on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:48 am

Quoting Wonderboy from 11:38, 14th Mar 2008
Quoting MJC from 09:44, 14th Mar 2008

I won't give that pathetic ad hominem attack the time of day.

You're rich and snobbish but does that make you a "yah"? I think it all depends on how you define that other word.
MJC

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting Wonderboy from 11:36, 14th Mar 2008
I think John Locke in his Essay Concerning Human Understaning is relevant here: From Chapter 22. Of Mixed Modes.
'For it is by their names that men commonly regulate their account of their distinct species of mixed modes, seldom allowing or considering any number of simple ideas to make one complex one, but such collections as there are names for.'

I can't help but feel that Godwin's law is about to come into effect...

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Yahhater on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Methinks John Locke is not relevant here. Yah is a useful term because its not 'cuntishness' that is the problem, its a certain kind of cuntish behaviour that others do not exibit to the same extent. Examples include blanking others, barging through queues etc.

[hr]

I think you miss the point. If it is only the being a cunt which causes the use of the derogatory yah then the rich bit is redundant. In what way does the rich bit contribute towards the insult? What has being rich got to do with being a cunt? I think you unecessarily pevert the concept of cunt.

Yahhater

Re:

Postby S on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:12 pm

[hr]

Can't you read? Rich = rich. Cunt = cunt. Rich cunt = yah. That's what yah means. If you don't like it go and change the definition which exists just as a stereotype amongst peoples minds. The rich contributes towards the stereotype because if they weren't rich, they would not be yahs. They would be just cunts.
S

Previous

Return to I Saw You