Home

TheSinner.net

school disco

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:51 pm

i might post a more structured and coherent post later.. but i'm about to catch the bus home so i'll make a few points just now:

S+D are big on scottish indie scene and have sold out their gigs across the central belt (where around 60% of the scottish population are within an hours driving distance).. but this is st Andrews...

figures for people going out to bars/pubs/etc have been declining for years.. thats not just the unions problem.

live music was tried last year, but during the second semester there were only 2 gigs (a Rocksoc and then an Altsoc one).

it might be all very well that gigs should be put onto different nights, but who do you expect to set up the gigs? unless the union was to hire in more staff to run these events, its not easy to run midweek (and even then, from what i've heard the saturday gigs are proving more successful than the midweek gigs).

Either you have the lights set low and the music loud, or the other way round. You can't have both - it just doesn't work well.

bullshit
niall

Re:

Postby Rennie on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:57 pm

It doesn't work well. Trust me - I was with a large group and no one thought it was a good idea.

Figures for the Union have been declining, for other pubs around St Andrews (with the exception of Ginhouse) figures are increasing.

S+D, exactly my point - If a large band like them can only sell around 200 tickets, then what are a medium band going to do??

How many live music events were there in 1st semester last year?

Setting up the gigs - fair point. Not sure how to get around this one, possibly recruit more ents, or pay them small courtesy amount?
Rennie

Re:

Postby The Kinky Monkey on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:06 pm

One thing that confuses me is that Coolio had 900+ people in venue 1.

In all fairness, he is something quite special for the St Andrews music scene to get, but he was only a two-hit wonder.

I think the problem with the live music scene is that people can't be bothered to get off there arses and check out new bands because they live in the comfort zone of the bop etc where they know that they can get drunk and have a good time without trying.

Its got nothing to do with the quality of the music in St Andrews either. If anyone went to Battle Of The Bands they would have been blown away by the quality and diversity of the music. There was 3 high school bands in the line up and take it from me, they were absolutley fucking awesome.

Bah, fecking pop culture. Rant over.
Do good to all men, but at the end remember to collect your fee.
The Kinky Monkey

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:43 am

You will all be glad to note that the Chairman of the SSC compiled a 72 point account of complaints about the Union found on the Sinner, and discussion has been split between earlier tonight, and a fortnight today's SSC. Meetings are open to all members of the Association, so those with strong views are welcome to join us in the committe room, top floor, students' association building, Tue 14th Dec

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:30 am

[s]Tweedle-Dum wrote on 00:43, 1st Dec 2004:
You will all be glad to note that the Chairman of the SSC compiled a 72 point account of complaints about the Union found on the Sinner

Actually, as SSC Senior Officer I am only the acting chairman. Plus, I prefer to think of what you call complaints as students' suggestions to improve the Union.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:37 am

yes but i doubt they will be acted on Mr. Covino, i find the best way to achieve things is to do it and tell people later,

[hr]
Image:www.timewarp.org.uk/Downloads/graphics/rhsline1animated.gif
Mohawk

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:15 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 01:37, 1st Dec 2004:
yes but i doubt they will be acted on Mr. Covino, i find the best way to achieve things is to do it and tell people later

Oddly enough, that very suggestion was brought up tonight, in re: publicizing exactly what it is that we do in the Association.

That said, some of the simpler and most sensible suggestions should start appearing as soon as Bonnie talks to the relevant department heads and/or Oli. Larger projects such as those involving capital expenditure cannot simply happen overnight. But the feedback from students here regarding things like Beaton's, for example, proved to be highly useful and they will be passed on to the relevant management types.

You yourself might wish especially to come along to the next SSC when we will be discussing things that can be done to increase the number of patrons for the events formerly known as "The Bop". Just a thought.

And you don't have to call me Mr Covino just because everybody else does - I do have a first name, albeit a rather awful one.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:50 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 01:37, 1st Dec 2004:
i find the best way to achieve things is to do it and tell people later

Please be a sabbatical soon, you already know how to do it...
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:05 am

one or two years to wait before i run Mr. Biagi

and i shall see about coming along, but i've heard bad reports about the weekly meetings dragging on for hours and hours

[hr]
Image:www.timewarp.org.uk/Downloads/graphics/rhsline1animated.gif
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 03:05, 1st Dec 2004:
i've heard bad reports about the weekly meetings dragging on for hours and hours

Only when there's something to discuss, and yes, next week's meeting will probably drag on. If you want input then come along, if you prefer doing the hands on Ents crew work, then that's ok, but don't complain when things you want to happen don't, and you weren't there to make your voice heard.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:38 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 03:05, 1st Dec 2004:
i've heard bad reports about the weekly meetings dragging on for hours and hours

There were a hell of a lot of suggestions to get through and discuss on top of the SSC's other business for the night, admittedly.

I'm not terrifically looking forward to discussing the myriad ways in which the ticketing/banding system for the enterprise formerly known as "the Bop" can be improved, how to end the culture of smashing used cups in Venue 1 during said event or the knock-on effect of the 2nd, the problem of just how to eliminate "that smell" from Venue 1. It remains the case that if those are the things that the members want, we should at least be looking into possible solutions.

And your suggestions, be they at SSC itself, to Bonnie or Helen, to other individual members thereof, or here on the Sinner, do get noticed. But you all knew that already...
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby liliputian on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:14 pm

[s]Marco Biagi wrote on 02:50, 1st Dec 2004:
[s]Mohawk wrote on 01:37, 1st Dec 2004:[i]
i find the best way to achieve things is to do it and tell people later

Please be a sabbatical soon, you already know how to do it...
[/i]

is that sarcasm i detect, or are you being serious Marco?

[hr]
i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:58 pm

I think it's a really good move on the Union's part to take these points seriously and do something about them - I will try and attend the meeting (for once).

Well done.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:14 pm

[s]Rennie wrote on 16:57, 29th Nov 2004:
Figures for the Union have been declining, for other pubs around St Andrews (with the exception of Ginhouse) figures are increasing.

Wow! What an expert you are, how popular you must be. I'm amazed that every pub in town checks in with you and updates you on what their attendances are what their turnover is. Aren’t we so lucky to have some one who is as omnipotent as you posting here.

Stupid people think they have all the answers. The intelligent ones understand the limits of their information. A statistics students would have noticed that you and your few friends (15- 20) out of a university population of 7000 is nothing and you can’t extrapolate anything from that.

What is your method of collecting information aside from "my mates think..."

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:17 pm

[s]Director of Services wrote on 22:37, 27th Nov 2004:
Rennie,
A few points.
You're wrong, school discos did not perform well.
Live music nights have proven popular and worthwhile and way overdue.
Three discos a week is stale, boring, and not what the market wants.
And, if you are so keen to do market research, you can do so. But you've already proven that you can't handle it.

1) School Discos performed exceedingly well. I remember going to most of them in first year (2001), and they were packed out far more often than the Bop. Perhaps St Andrews is changing?

2) Rennie makes a good point. Music night is not a huge sell-out or selling point. Seen it myself. Why? Because the beer bar in Venue 1 and about an additional 90 sq. ft. on the dance floor is open, not to mention that it's stacked with tables and chairs. Max Cap: 100, 150? This wouldn't have anything to do with personal relationships with certain officers, would it...

3) 1000 people do not go bopping every friday, Kinky Monkey. On Hallowe'en, I have it on good authority that the bop sold 400/500... even Coolio didn't sell out, and Venue 1 has max cap of about 1100 (someone, correct me if I'm wrong, though I'm fairly sure I'm not.)

4) Speaking of good market research, the SRC and SSC permit, nay encourage, Beaton's and the OUD to operate at a loss, a kind of micro-management on the Sab level that is both unnecessary and counterproductive.

Their argument for keeping the Saint wrapped up in bureaucratic red tape is that they're trying to protect the saint from themselves and their mythical "equal opps violations..." heck, it's a student paper. It's bad press to restrain them. And they can't even make up their minds as to whether or not they'll let the paper keep using the building.

Market research, my foot.

Re:

Postby The Kinky Monkey on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:17 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 20:21, 30th Nov 2004:

3) 1000 people do not go bopping every friday, Kinky Monkey. On Hallowe'en, I have it on good authority that the bop sold 400/500... even Coolio didn't sell out, and Venue 1 has max cap of about 1100 (someone, correct me if I'm wrong, though I'm fairly sure I'm not.)

Woah woah woah!!

I did not say 1000 people went bopping on a friday- i was on about the whole population of the union on a friday night!

Market research my foot.
Do good to all men, but at the end remember to collect your fee.
The Kinky Monkey

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:39 pm

"how to end the culture of smashing used cups in Venue 1 during said event"

An idiot was once caught doing that *after* the bop had finished, the lights were on and the door staff/porters/UMC were clearing up. He was the only "non-official" person left in the place and he still tried to deny it. When Bruce put this point to him, he came out with the classic "This won't stop me joining the air force, will it?"

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Rozo on Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:19 pm

So who's up for a school disco then!?
Rozo

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:29 pm

[s]Rozo wrote on 21:19, 8th Dec 2004:
So who's up for a school disco then!?

Probably about another 500 people, but I don't think you're going to get what you want - the union prefer to lose money instead.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Monster Sink on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:10 am

You're rather ignorant Rennie.
Monster Sink

PreviousNext

Return to The Students' Association (Union)