Home

TheSinner.net

Drinks Spiking

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Drinks Spiking

Postby Blondie515 on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:58 pm

If the uni has just gone on a big campaign to make us more aware of drink spiking why do they insist on those plastic cups in venue1? i appreciate there is prob a very logical reason e.g. insurance or safety but they are the worlds easiest to spike. Back home you would always drink from a bottle with a straw and your thumb over it, fair enough St Andrews isnt exactly manchester city centre but still! That and the smashed shards everywhere cant be that much fun for the clean up staff not to mention being really easy to slip on

xx
Blondie515

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:09 pm

however, having a plastic cup hit on your head is somewhat less painfull that having a pint glass or bottle smashed on your head
niall

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:21 pm

How exactly do you propose that someone drinking something like vodka and coke drink from a bottle?

Not all drinks come in bottles - if ur that worried you just keep the drink in your hand.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:20 pm

[s]Blondie515 wrote on 16:58, 9th Dec 2004:
If the uni has just gone on a big campaign to make us more aware of drink spiking...

It is worth pointing out that the "Uni" has nothing to do with the SPIKE campaign at all; it is the Students' Association.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby camel club on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:41 pm

I think the association should buy more plastic bottled drinks like smirnoff ice. Sure - there's no way of serving vodka and coke in anything but a glass, but if there was a bigger selection of drinks in plastic bottles, it would make drink spiking more difficult.

From what i hear, the plastic bottles are more expensive to buy than their glass counterparts. But personally i would be prepared to pay a bit more for a bottle than a drink poured into a plastic glass. What does everyone else think?
camel club

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:28 pm

[s]camel club wrote on 20:41, 9th Dec 2004:
From what i hear, the plastic bottles are more expensive to buy than their glass counterparts. But personally i would be prepared to pay a bit more for a bottle than a drink poured into a plastic glass. What does everyone else think?

from what i've heard its going to be law for bottles to be plastic if they are being sold in a club.
niall

Re:

Postby Koala Boy on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:21 am

[s]niall wrote on 21:28, 9th Dec 2004:
from what i've heard its going to be law for bottles to be plastic if they are being sold in a club.

Being a private members club, the Association might not have to adhere to such a law, see Bonnie for the legal stuff.

Speaking from experience, it does suck to have to clean up all the plastic shards, and it must cost the association a not-insignificant amount to replace the glasses. But it won't cut your feet as much as glass shards would!

[hr]
You don't need pants
To do the Koala Dance
IMAGE:images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:kD6MwnrIVS0J:www.lovecorner.it/peluches/koala.jpg
Koala Boy

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:09 am

The plastics cost more than glasses, but are significantly less dangerous.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Meh on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:17 am

Oh, don't complain about the damn shards if you step on the cups. But I still don't understand what motivates people to set down cups on the middle of the bloddy fuckin dancefloor?!?!?!?! Are people too lazy to walk 5 feet to set the cup to the side?
Meh

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:18 am

[s]Unregisted User Meh wrote on 15:13, 13th Dec 2004:
Are people too lazy to walk 5 feet to set the cup to the side?

You haven't been into Venue 1, have you?

It's big enough to accommodate over a thousand people. It's a little larger than 10 feet across.
Thackary

Re:

Postby liliputian on Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:37 pm

[s]Thackary wrote on 11:18, 14th Dec 2004:
[s]Unregisted User Meh wrote on 15:13, 13th Dec 2004:[i]
Are people too lazy to walk 5 feet to set the cup to the side?

You haven't been into Venue 1, have you?

It's big enough to accommodate over a thousand people. It's a little larger than 10 feet across.
[/i]

is that supposed to be funny? i don't get your sense of humour sometimes...

[hr]
i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby Blondie515 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:44 pm

Oh, don't complain about the damn shards if you step on the cups.

I can honestly say i have never once stepped on the cups!
Blondie515

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:07 pm

Oh, don't complain about the damn shards if you step on the cups. But I still don't understand what motivates people to set down cups on the middle of the bloddy fuckin dancefloor?!?!?!?! Are people too lazy to walk 5 feet to set the cup to the side?

But, if you did this, wouldn't you be leaving yourself open to it being spiked?

Unless one person sits at the side with all the drinks, or something. Which wouldn't be the best fun thing ever.
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:44 pm

One should never leave their drink unattended. I think the former poster was saying that after one has finished their drink, they can leave the empty cup on one of the tables in Venue1.

Also, not every drink is offered in bottles at all never mind in plastic bottles. We serve more of our classic diesels than you'd probably think. No more gin and tonic? No more diesels? No more vodka and cranberry? Drinks tend to be a MUCH better price when they are not individually bottled (that's why the alcohol supplying trade doesn't even bother putting everything in bottles.)

Additionally, if you ever see any odd behaviour, either because you think someone has been spiked or someone might be a spiker, please alert a member of staff-- doorstaff, porter, bar staff, glass collectors, student on duty selling tickets or even see if a sabb is around, etc. Please don't keep quiet about it; we can't do anything unless we know.

If oyu have any more questions on the SPIKE Campaign or about the entertainments/bars services, please feel free to e-mail dorep@st-and.ac.uk or doserv@st-and.ac.uk respectively.

Thanks,
Bonnie Ryder
Director of Services

Return to The Students' Association (Union)