Home

TheSinner.net

Union Bar

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Union Bar

Postby Sunflower on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:28 pm

I noticed yesterday that the tvs in the union bar where showing music videos. Normally, these videos are annoying simply because they do not correspond to the music being played at all, But yesterday the videos showed nothing but topless women. I am not sure that sets an appropriate atmostphere for the Union Bar. Granted most people didn't appear to take any notice, but I found it rather uncomfortable since I was there to just have a drink with friends.
Sunflower

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:45 pm

As an employee of the union i respond by saying - grow up.

If you were really offended by the stuff on the tvs then you should have left.

We cannot control what music videos are played or their content, so if one happens to come no that you dont like then just ignore it - and any ways if you were only in with your friends for a drink why were you even paying attention to the tvs?

Its people like you that are the reason george bush is in power!!!!!
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby Han on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:25 pm

interesting....

the first time I read the opening post on this thread I though it was a fair point with a relatively polite tone...

so it's interesting that the reaction taken was so hostile...then I read it again and realised that, yeah, it could be taken in that way....

bloody computers getting in the way again...lol
Han

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:14 pm

in all fairness, rectal probe is only ONE member of staff, i'm sure if you had asked for the channel to be changed it would have, failing that you could have come into venue one and found a memember of ents crew whop would have done it in leiu of the staff
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:33 pm

If anyone would like the channel changed, one can always ask.

I can't guarantee that the wish will always be granted, but knowing that people would rather have it on something else is helpful.

Thanks,
Bonnie Ryder
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:01 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 21:14, 15th Dec 2004:
in all fairness, rectal probe is only ONE member of staff, i'm sure if you had asked for the channel to be changed it would have, failing that you could have come into venue one and found a memember of ents crew whop would have done it in leiu of the staff

but what you must remember man is that we go with the majority - if one person doesnt like whats on but everyone else is there for it then there isnt really much that can be done about it!!!!

and i may only be one member of staff but i damn sure am one of the best!!!!
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby Peaches on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:29 am

WE, Rectal dear, you clearly meant WE are the best. You and Me. Well more me than you, but you can tag along if you wish :)
Peaches

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:45 pm

No i'm Spartacus,
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:17 pm

I missed topless women?

How did such a thing happen?

I plan to actively petition the SSC for more topless women on TV in the Union and ask that they subscribe to a television channel such as Television X
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:51 pm

Sorry, we can't do such a thing.

Not that I'd (or the majority of students would, I don't believe) want to anyway.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby morn_69 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:20 pm

[s]Peaches wrote on 10:29, 16th Dec 2004:
WE, Rectal dear, you clearly meant WE are the best. You and Me. Well more me than you, but you can tag along if you wish :)

Fine peaches, u and I are finished!!!

[hr]
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
morn_69

Re:

Postby Drunkard on Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:28 pm

Actually, I'm the best barman there.
Drunkard

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:21 pm

And I am no longer under the Union's spell...or wage packet. Go me...*sniff*

[hr]"I saw a bird fly its cage, Well its wings could take it anywhere, But I watched as it flew back from where it came..." - Sean Watkins
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:03 pm

[s]Director of Services wrote on 23:33, 15th Dec 2004:
I can't guarantee that the wish will always be granted, but knowing that people would rather have it on something else is helpful.

Bonnie, the public expect you to know what they want in the greatest detail without them having to ever say it to them and only feel the urge to tell you in retrospect, loudly, when you've got something wrong. In this context it's called 'representing their interests', whereas in other contexts it's called 'being a woman in a relationship'. Either way it's equally unreasonable. (sigh)

[hr]
Lib Dem Watch - http://www.libdemwatch.co.uk/
"They've Got A Point" - http://re-focus.blogspot.com/
[s]The author makes no apologies for the fact that some of the sentences above contain more than nine words - the recommended maximum for LibDem Focus leaflets.[/s]
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Sunflower on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:13 pm

[s]Rectalprobe wrote on 14:45, 15th Dec 2004:
As an employee of the union i respond by saying - grow up.

If you were really offended by the stuff on the tvs then you should have left.

We cannot control what music videos are played or their content, so if one happens to come no that you dont like then just ignore it - and any ways if you were only in with your friends for a drink why were you even paying attention to the tvs?

Its people like you that are the reason george bush is in power!!!!!

Excuse me. I was simply making an observation about something that I found uncomfortable to bring it to the attention of those who run the facilities. If it had REALLY bothered me I would have left and said something directly to a manager. I have been in the union bar many times and this is the first time that I have noticed that the music videos featured topless women and more importantly, that ALL the videos were showing topless women. I was actually more curious about whether something had changed from what was being shown before.

I find you comment about George Bush particularly offensive. The two things do not connect. Just because as a woman I find it uncomfortable that a SCHOOL Facility would show half naked women to a bunch of drinking students, does not mean I would have anything to do with the lying disgrace of a human being.
Sunflower

Re:

Postby Sunflower on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:17 pm

[s]Director of Services wrote on 23:33, 15th Dec 2004:
If anyone would like the channel changed, one can always ask.

Thanks,
Bonnie Ryder

Thank you. I simply wanted to bring it to someone's attention. I was just surprised by the number of videos shown with topless women...I have seen the videos on before and haven't notice SO many.
Sunflower

Return to The Students' Association (Union)