Home

TheSinner.net

Credit fucking cards

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Credit fucking cards

Postby Rectalprobe on Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:26 am

Im sure i aint the only staff member to hate this, but its soo fucking annoying when people come to the bar and get drinks, then expect to be able to pay by switch.

There are 3 things that should tell people we dont - 1)Thew signs over the fucking bar saying that we dont accept cards, 2 the lack of a switch machine behind the bar and three THE FUCKING CASH MACHINE THAT YOU PASS ON THE FUCKING WAY INTO THE UNION!!!!

sorry if i seem a bit ranty, but this is something that pisses not only me off, but other staff members also!!!

[hr]"Well i heard my sis say that whenever she had a prick in her hand she puts it in cider"
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby tintin on Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:45 pm

Just wondering why the Union don't accept cards - is it because the machine costs too much or something? No offence meant, but isn't it a little anachronistic these days not to have a machine - and perhaps you might make more money?
tintin

Re:

Postby morn_69 on Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:37 pm

[s]tintin wrote on 15:45, 5th Feb 2005:
Just wondering why the Union don't accept cards - is it because the machine costs too much or something? No offence meant, but isn't it a little anachronistic these days not to have a machine - and perhaps you might make more money?

the reason I was told on why the main bar doesnt have a card machine is to stop students getting into more debt, if you really need money offsales offers cashback... but only £20 at a time and you have to spend £5 in the shop

[hr]
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
morn_69

Re:

Postby niall on Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:25 pm

but there isa cash machine just outside :/

[hr]do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:28 pm

There are two main reasons why the Main Bar doesn't have credit card or Switch.

1. The Students' Association tries as much as possible not to entice students into digging themselves deep into cedit card debt. That's why you won't see credit card companies trying every trick int he book to get you to sign up for a card in the front foyer anymore. Yes, it used to be done and I do remember the popcorn machine incidents, but we found out that most of those students were leaving with a significant debt, and we just didn't want to be part in promoting that.

2. Each machine costs a lot of money and there's one in OffSales and a cash machine outside. The building hasn't had to be shut for reaching capacity for some time (that would be a f***load of people if you consider how many people can really fit in the entire building). Due to that, stepping a few metres to the cash machine or even stopping off in OffSales for Switch won't usually risk you not being let back in. That is, of course, unless you forget your matric card on the way back in, but you'd have your wallet in your hand anyway.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby elpedro999 on Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:27 am

[s]Director of Services wrote on 20:28, 5th Feb 2005:[i]
There are two main reasons why the Main Bar doesn't have credit card or Switch.

1. The Students' Association tries as much as possible not to entice students into digging themselves deep into cedit card debt. That's why you won't see credit card companies trying every trick int he book to get you to sign up for a card in the front foyer anymore. Yes, it used to be done and I do remember the popcorn machine incidents, but we found out that most of those students were leaving with a significant debt, and we just didn't want to be part in promoting that.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to allow persons to purchase alcohol with a credit card unless that person is buying a meal with the drinks. I was sure that bar's were only allowed to have machines that take debit cards from which it is harder to rack up debt that is hard to get out of? why then can't we have a machine that accepts debit cards?
Pete
elpedro999

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:43 pm

"I was under the impression that it was illegal to allow persons to purchase alcohol with a credit card unless that person is buying a meal with the drinks"

It is not so much the allowing the use of credit cards that is illegal as any form of credit. Even the humble, and traditional, pub slate is illegal. And I don't think food has anything to do with it.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:20 pm

The real problem with the bar not taking cards, is at busy times, the customer, intent on giving the Union money, must que twice, once at the cash machine, and once at the bar, (and possibly again if they want to go bopping, but that's another matter). No, wait, it's not, why can't bop bands be sold at the main bar, so as to remove the ridiculous wait to get in we see every week, as some untrained volunteer monkey is forced to work for nothing, and suffer torrents of abuse just because they happen to want to represent student welfare/run theater productions, whereas societies who don't even drink in the union get given money for the most frivilous of items?

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:15 pm

Shut the hell up you big dobber... stop moaning.
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:37 am

As much as i appreciate the hard working staff at the union and the shit they must have to take, it is the STUDENTS' ASSOCIATION, and not the STUDENTS' ASSOCIATION STAFF's ASSOCIATION. Students who go in there to drink, follow the rules and have a hassle-free good time don't expect to be treated like the paid staff are doing them some sort of favour by working there.

[hr]...We sing of landscape and memory and the urgency to do it now; in the street and in the fields...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:35 am

I wholeheartedly agree, I think sometimes people need to be reminded that we pay the wages of all of the members of staff in the Students' Association by dinking at the bar, or spending moneey otherwise, and I'd like to see the staff act a bit more like it (not all of them, the vast majority are polite and courteous, but as usual, the majority is let down by the vocal minority.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:55 am

Yes, I agree.

It's all very well saying that a smile and a thank you is what we should do but surely the staff as a whole should start doing this first before asking the customers too. Now I know most people who work there are nice and friendly but you always get the one or two dour faced people who make me feel like i am causing them a disservice by being there.

I am always polite and smile, I think perhaps paid staff should do the same.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Drunkard on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:37 pm

One inch penis!!!!!
Drunkard

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:40 pm

That cash machine is evil. It never has any tens so I end up taking out twenty and spending it all anyway. I suppose that I could walk to another cash machine like on Greyfriars but t'would be was too much effort like.

On the card issue - I think it would slow service down unless it was chip and pin and even then it takes longer than handing over your quids. Its busy enough without slowing the process down with little bits of paper everywhere to sign.
Bread Roll

Return to The Students' Association (Union)