Home

TheSinner.net

Social anthropology and italian

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Social anthropology and italian

Postby isabella on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:41 pm

HI, Im thinking of studing social anthropolgy and italien at St. Andrews. I wondered if anybody had any advice on doing social anthropolyg at st.andrews, what its like etc etc. I would really appreciate all the input i could get.
thanxs
isabella
isabella

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Well, if you're capable of making up a fairly good essay full of crap then you're bound to pass Social Anthropology anyway.

In first year it can be quite interesting, you get to learn about quite a few cultures and the differences between them. In second year though, it's more about the history of social anthro and philosophy and any related stuff and it can be boring as hell if you're not really into all the theories on fieldwork and society that people have come up with through the years.

I, if you haven't guessed already, took it in both years and am now in the process of dropping it before it's too late ;-)

[hr]

[s]A Question
A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.
---Robert Frost[/s]
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Pender Native on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:27 pm

Well I'm doing it for my degree and loving it - but then it was what I came here to do so I'm probably just a geek!

[hr]

'I like to listen to a man who likes to talk. Whoops! Sawdust and Treacle, put that in your herring and smoke it!' - quote from the Bursar in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Hope that clears up any confusion as to my personal tastes!
"I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces,
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too."
Pender Native

Return to The Students' Association (Union)