Home

TheSinner.net

wanting to come to St andrews.

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

wanting to come to St andrews.

Postby Eloise on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

I am in 6th year waiting for my results, hopefully good ones and am considering to apply to st andrews in september..although i have been reading some message boards and am quite worried.
Is St andrews full of posh southern english folk and annoying americans?? I am worried that i wont fit in because i am scottish!!!!
Please help its getting really close to deciding!!
Cheers!
Eloise

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:55 pm

Hoots lass, theres tons o' scots wi' digs in st andrews, them eejits who says that theres mair yanks than weegies are acht haevers.

Its not as if foreigners would drink the twenty million gallons of Tennants that get poured down the collective student necks of the town every friday night now is it?

Come to St Andrews, you'll love it.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.maxeh.co.uk [The Music Community][/s]
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com [Projects Home][/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby groovy on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:58 am

I come from a fairly poor scottish background. You find people from all walks of life at St Andrews, There are some yahs, but there are plenty enough sensible down to earth people to meet/sleep with/etc

[hr]

Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

Re:

Postby paw paw on Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:10 pm

Lmao! i loved the part about the 'posh english folk and annoyin americans'.Dont worry there are plenty of scottish students here. In my first year(last year) i was placed with 3 other scottish girls (who are now 3 of my best friends)in our flat in DRA and considering they house 5 students then that wasnt too bad - one from edinburgh, dundee, aberdeen and me from glasgow so we have one form each city. Plus the english students arent all posh, and the vast majority of students are easy going and really down to earth.
Coming to st andrews was one of the best decisions iv made and if i were you i would give it some serious thought

Best of luck with whatever you do.x
paw paw

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:11 pm

There are a minority (big word fo rme) of posh english folk (yahs) here, but really, compared to all us scottish dobbers, there are none min!! So mon tae st andys..ye'll love it hen!!!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby physicist on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:37 pm

Quoting Eloise from 15:58, 31st Jul 2005
I am in 6th year waiting for my results, hopefully good ones and am considering to apply to St. Andrews in September. Although I have been reading some message boards and am quite worried.

Is St. Andrews full of posh southern English folk and annoying Americans? I am worried that i wont fit in because i am Scottish!!!!
Please help its getting really close to deciding!!
Cheers!

Yes, there are a lot of Southern English and Americans here - the University is about 20% American, 35% English, 35% Scottish and 10% other.

But there are plenty of Scottish students and northern English students. Also, there is the odd non-annoying American, so there should be many students from a walk of life that you can associate with. I, for example, am from Fife and live in one of the centrally-located catered halls.
physicist

Re:

Postby David on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:14 am

Dont worry, there are some scottish ppl here too.Im scottish n didnt find it a problem, everyone will find a place they fit in(if they want to)
David

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:15 am

Lmao! i loved the 'posh english folk and annoying american's'. there are still alot of scottish peps here. Last year (my first year) i was placed with 3 other scottish girls in our flat in DRA considering the flat houses 5 that was not bad. one from edinburgh, one from dundee, one from aberdeen and me from glasgow so it was a good mix. Plus not all the english students are posh, the vast majority of the students here are all easy going and really down to earth.
Coming to st andrews is one of the best decisions iv made and if i were u i would give it some thought.

Best of luck x

Re:

Postby c on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:38 am

im now a bit worried. i've had an offer from St Andrews and was considering coming, but I'm from southern England so will everyone just think im a "yah" automatically?!
c

Re:

Postby Jos Dad on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting c from 09:59, 26th Jan 2006
im now a bit worried. i've had an offer from St Andrews and was considering coming, but I'm from southern England so will everyone just think im a "yah" automatically?!

Probably, but both Jo and myself overcame it!
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby Ellkie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:35 pm

I can't believe folk are actually worried about who is here and how they will be judged! Just be yourself and have fun and do things you enjoy doing. Universities have a diverse range of people from downright lazy folk to people who are involved with so many things it makes me feel tired, and people who are rich and people who get by. It is just like any other place and it is easy to find some where to fit in.
You should never worry about it 'cause there is always someone willing to be your friend (if your're not horrible).
Don't be shy about joining societies or talking to anyone and everyone. Most people are decent and if not then they're not worth bothering your wee heid aboot.

[hr]

It's all GEEK
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Your advice is good, but your reasoning is ludicrous.

People are underconfident / have inadiquicy issues all the time. To "not believe folk are actually worried about who is here and how they will be judged" is a tad silly. Considering the age of those comming and the fact it may be their first time away from home it is more than understandable.

[hr]

Anyone questioning how I post on the sinner, my new way of life, will offend my "religion" and as such will be dealt with in manners inclusive but by no means exlusive of death threats, random acts of violence, maiming of the general public not involved in this matter and finally a Jihad from all my fellow religious sinners.

For years we have been oppressed by you post nazis, the time of change is upon us.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Ellkie on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 19:41, 6th Feb 2006
Your advice is good, but your reasoning is ludicrous.

People are underconfident / have inadiquicy issues all the time. To "not believe folk are actually worried about who is here and how they will be judged" is a tad silly. Considering the age of those comming and the fact it may be their first time away from home it is more than understandable.

[hr]

Anyone questioning how I post on the sinner, my new way of life, will offend my "religion" and as such will be dealt with in manners inclusive but by no means exlusive of death threats, random acts of violence, maiming of the general public not involved in this matter and finally a Jihad from all my fellow religious sinners.

For years we have been oppressed by you post nazis, the time of change is upon us.

Well yes. Perhaps your'e right. I am being closed minded, i'm not going to deny that. But i'm a first year and was extremely shy in 5th and 6th year but I didn't care that there were going to be folk who judged me here. I came here with an open mind and tried to acknowledge everyone as who they were. Once i'd figured out my stance I didn't care what folk thought of me. And I have survived fine. I am an eternal optimist though and think that nothing can go wrong...and I LOVE it.

[hr]

It's all GEEK
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re:

Postby c on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:42 pm

yeah well, i'm not really a shy person...or unconfident in the slightest really. I wasnt even thinking about it until I read the stuff here! I'm coming on an Open Day so hopefully that will help me make my mind up more! xxx
c

Return to The Students' Association (Union)