Home

TheSinner.net

Americans... how do you view 'em?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Americans... how do you view 'em?

Postby belleinsouciante on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:33 am

I'm coming to St Andrews in September after having taking the year off to live in St. Petersburg, Russia and Paris. I want to live in Europe, but being an American, I've obviously had some pretty interesting conversations, experiences, and obstacles.

So, out of curiosity, how are Americans viewed at St Andrews? Are we considered annoying as all hell, are some of us accepted, or are we generally a good group of people?
belleinsouciante

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 am

hey! from my own experience i would say

you guys are liked by some and disliked by others!

ive met a few americans here who are absolute idiots! but i dont reckon that was anything to do with them actually being american!

ive met some nice folks from the US aswell(amy troooobough!!!)...so its basically down to who you are as a person...

if youre ignorant and rude and dont know that Scotland is part of Britain (even though YOU'RE LIVING HERE!!!) then you'll probably be hated! :-P

but assuming youre normal- being american shouldnt be a hinderance on your social life here!
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby physicist on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:48 am

Quoting belleinsouciante from 21:55, 21st Aug 2005
So, out of curiosity, how are Americans viewed at St Andrews? Are we considered annoying as all hell, are some of us accepted, or are we generally a good group of people?

As a whole big group, they aren't particularly well liked. As individuals, it depends how you act and behave: if you speak with a strong accent, blindly say America is the best in everything and critisise most Scottish and British culture and traditions (if you want American culture and traditions you should be at an American univeristy) you will annoy most Britons. If you join in with our traditions and culture without making us them feel they are inferior to your own you could get on with many Britons. (If you don't want to join in, respect our wishes to join in without unreasonable critisism.)

I have met Americans that I can't get on with, and Americans that I can get on with, and have made friends with some of them.
physicist

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:55 pm

I used not to like Americans, but I can now say that I have tasted them and they're really not bad, yeah I quite like Americans now. Mmmmmm Americans.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Come and see 'Corpus Christi' 4-29 August, Edinburgh Fringe!
Midget

Re:

Postby brebeuf06 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 am

Hi, i am a senior in an american high school. st. andrews is my absolute first choice and i was wondering how hard you found getting in to be. i have average to above average grades. i love the school and everything about it, but i was just wondering if you could tell be about your experience in applying. thank you.

Quoting belleinsouciante from 21:55, 21st Aug 2005
I'm coming to St Andrews in September after having taking the year off to live in St. Petersburg, Russia and Paris. I want to live in Europe, but being an American, I've obviously had some pretty interesting conversations, experiences, and obstacles.

brebeuf06

Re:

Postby hoopy froodette on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:38 pm

It might help to not call it a school.

[hr]

Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
hoopy froodette

Re:

Postby _ on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:06 pm

Yo. Keep in mind that I'm not the original poster.

I am matriculating this year. I can't say I applied to St. Andrews with as much as enthusiasm as you seem to have, but after visiting, I fell in love with St. Andrews and decided to accept my offer of admission over several prestigious American universities.

I'd say that it's relatively easy to get in compared to a lot of the top name schools in the US.

You are kind of vague on details about your stats, but I'll provide mine to let you judge how easy it will be to get in.

I went to a medium sized private high school and my cumulative grade average was about 90.0/100. At my school that was just about the bottom of the top half. I took many honors and AP classes. I did well on most of my APs and SATIIs. I had a SAT score of about 1440.

That being said, I think that St. Andrews places a lot of value on your SAT score. I remember reading a piece of information from the University that said as long as you have a 1350+ on your SAT you are pretty much guaranteed admission. I can't seem to find that information anymore. I also think that they place a good amount of their decision on your essay and your recommendations.

If you would be more specific in terms of your grades that would be helpful in allowing me providing a better answer. What kind of school do you go to? A private school or a public school? What is your SAT score?

In any case, good luck!
And don't stress out about the college application process.

Quoting brebeuf06 from 21:06, 25th Aug 2005
Hi, i am a senior in an american high school. st. andrews is my absolute first choice and i was wondering how hard you found getting in to be. i have average to above average grades. i love the school and everything about it, but i was just wondering if you could tell be about your experience in applying. thank you.
_

Re:

Postby Sara on Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:02 am

Glad to hear of your interest! I am also American and starting St. Andrews in a couple weeks, so i just went through all this. I'm not really sure what the minimum requirements for admission are, but I was accepted coming from a public school with SAT of 1350. I was 14th in my class and I can say that I got the impression that the personal statement is important. If you can, visit the "school"(yes, university is still school, really) I fell in love with it too and can't wait to start. Good luck!
Sara

Re:

Postby Gealle on Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:48 pm

It's a University.

The University is split into Faculties.

The Faculties are split into Schools.

The Schools are split into Departments.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:04 pm

Quoting Gealle from 16:48, 19th Sep 2005
It's a University.

The University is split into Faculties.

The Faculties are split into Schools.

The Schools are split into Departments.

Except that not all schools have departments; half of the faculties are each co-terminus with a single school and deans are not line managers of Heads of Schools.

[s]Edit: But that's not really relevant apart from my pedantry.
[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:53 am

I got two strong arms
Blessings of Babylon
With time to carry on and try
For sins and false alarms
So to America the brave
Wise men save
Near a tree by a river
There's a hole in the ground
Where an old man of Aran
Goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night
For a strange kind of fashion
There's a wrong and a right

Near a tree by a river
Where an old man of Aran
Goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night
But he'll never
Never fight over you

Near a tree by a river
Where an old man of Aran
Goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night

Near a tree by a river
Where an old man of Aran
Goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night
But he'll never
Never fight over you

I got plans for us
Nights in the scullery
And days instead of me
I only know what to discuss
Of for anything but light
Wise men fighting over you

It's not me you see
Pieces of valentine
With just a song of mine
To keep from burning history
Seasons of gasoline and gold

Wise men fold
Near a tree by a river
Where an old man of Aran
Goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night
But he'll never
Never fight over you

I got time to kill
Sly looks in corridors
Without a plan of yours
A blackbird sings on bluebird hill
Thanks to the calling of the wild

Wise men's child

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Cerimonies
[hr]
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Latina on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:27 pm

To the original poster:

I know it sounds tacky, but just be yourself. If you're a nice person, you will be liked and accepted regardless of your nationality, and no matter how strong your accent or how devoted you are to your homeland. Anyone who doesn't like you just because you're an American isn't worth your time anyway. :)

The same goes for any foreign students. I'm British myself, but in my experience this is a wonderful and also diverse university where most people are accepting and welcoming of foreign students.
Latina

Return to The Students' Association (Union)