Home

TheSinner.net

No entries after 11:30 on Tuesday

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

No entries after 11:30 on Tuesday

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:35 pm

I saw this on a poster in the union last night - apparently no-one's to be allowed in to the union after 11:30 on Tuesdays (although closing time remains 1pm).

Have I interpreted this horribly wrongly? If not, might I ask why this is so? What if people need to pop out to the cash machine?

[hr]

I'm Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:42 pm

I saw the poster too, I interpreted it the same way. I can only assume they have had noise complaints.

It is a tad silly though. I am guessing most of the noise out on the street comes from people leaving the vic - not arriving/leaving the union between 11:30 and closing time.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:44 pm

Oh, I just had a conspiracy theory moment.

Maybe the union is trying to get us to drink more there.

The vic - £1 optics
The Raisin - Bulldozers £1

The union - get here early or you can GTF

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby n01 on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:23 am

no thats whats happening.

if you need to pop out to the cash machine...

make sure your brought enough, or the main bar takes cards now anyways.

no more rush of people after midnight! yes!

[hr]

http://standrews.thefacebook.com/profil ... d=37104508
n01

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:12 am

i'm sure the gin house has posters up (in small print) of a similar policy. now whether or they act upon it i wouldn't know as i never stay there until closing, if i go there at all.

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:44 pm

Quoting n01 from 02:23, 27th Nov 2005
no more rush of people after midnight! yes!

Instead there's a rush of people at the main bar at 11.30pm... it was absolutely packed last night.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 pm

It was horrible last night, enough to make me want to be *leaving* at 11.30, never mind trying to get in :-P

[hr]

Nobody likes you...
Everyone left you...
They're all out without you...
Having fun...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:43 pm

Still nothing? No-one I've spoken to seems to even know *why* this is happening?

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:02 am

it has, predictably, been a policy whereby the bar is mega busy for even longer, as everybody quits other establishments even earlier in order to get to the union, where they then remain for longer. the union will eithe rhave to have an earlier last entry time, or abandon the policy, because the current one simply hasnt worked.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:20 am

who's fucking union is it?

I propose a Tuesday boycott.
Tom

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:09 pm

As ever, the Union has implemented a policy without actually taking the time to think it through.

Asking the people who see the flows of 'people-traffic' at night, i.e the security and porters, would probably be beneficial in this case.

The problem is not that everywhere shuts at 12pm except the union. The problem is that the Union cannot cater for that many customers easily, and all at once - so the idea of the 11.30pm timelimit came in.

However, this just means the rush happens a little bit earlier, and pisses people off who want to come in at 12pm and later. What hasn't been realised is that people comone out of pubs, not all at 12pm, but between 11.45pm and 12.15am on average, some of these go to get food before coming to the union also, meaning that although there is definately a noticeable increase in people at 12pm, it is more spread than everyone at 11.30pm (people leaving pubs at 11.25pm just to get into the union)

It also creates problems with the cash machine access, and generally pisses people off.

The solution? Employ more bar staff, use more of the bar as a serving area (maybe one end for bottles, one end for draft?) and do away with the 11.30pm rule - it won't work. The union is just going to have to accept that if it is the last place open in town, at 12pm it WILL get busy. Surely being busy is a good thing, anyway?

Another solution may be to bring the closing time even shorter. 10pm? The thing to do here is get the right balance between avioding the rush, and not turning away customers but keeping the union busy. And something needs to be done about cash machines - has anyone ever looked into getting a mini one inside?
Rennie

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:11 pm

Just saw duggeh's post. Basically he's right.
Rennie

Re:

Postby groovy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm

This policy WILL NOT last longer than 3/4 motnhs.

It will simply NOT WORK when the smoking ban comes into play.

"I'm sorry, you're not allowed in through these doors after 11.30pm"

"But I just went out for a cigarette"

"Tough shit"

Think about it.

[hr]

Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

Re:

Postby g on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:12 pm

Quoting groovy from 16:19, 8th Dec 2005
This policy WILL NOT last longer than 3/4 motnhs.

It will simply NOT WORK when the smoking ban comes into play.

"I'm sorry, you're not allowed in through these doors after 11.30pm"

"But I just went out for a cigarette"

"Tough shit"

Think about it.

The Beer Garden could be used as a smoking area, or possibly a designated room within the building.
g

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting g from 18:12, 13th Dec 2005
The Beer Garden could be used as a smoking area, or possibly a designated room within the building.

"Beer Garden" my ass, its like one of those dreadful patios you see on "DIY SOS" or "Changing Gardens" or whatever. 2 summers back they had the cheek to advertise it as a beer garden even though it shut at 7PM and the bar opened at 8PM. Where, prey tell, was one meant to source one's beer? And anyway, there is no way to get round the smoking legislation by having designated rooms, there is no smoking allowed in any enclosed place of work, outside is the only place you can smoke. I'd like to thank the Scottish Executive here for sorting out what the Union was unable to do for itself, i shall be sure to sample the clean, fresh ambience next time I am in.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:45 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 05:53, 14th Dec 2005i shall be sure to sample the clean, fresh ambience next time I am in.

Mmmm, vomit and piss.

Or worse, you might smell the drinks.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

The Solution...

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:46 pm

Quoting Rennie from 18:09, 7th Dec 2005
As ever, the Union has implemented a policy without actually taking the time to think it through.

Asking the people who see the flows of 'people-traffic' at night, i.e the security and porters, would probably be beneficial in this case.

The problem is not that everywhere shuts at 12pm except the union. The problem is that the Union cannot cater for that many customers easily, and all at once - so the idea of the 11.30pm timelimit came in.

However, this just means the rush happens a little bit earlier, and pisses people off who want to come in at 12pm and later. What hasn't been realised is that people comone out of pubs, not all at 12pm, but between 11.45pm and 12.15am on average, some of these go to get food before coming to the union also, meaning that although there is definately a noticeable increase in people at 12pm, it is more spread than everyone at 11.30pm (people leaving pubs at 11.25pm just to get into the union)

It also creates problems with the cash machine access, and generally pisses people off.

The solution? Employ more bar staff, use more of the bar as a serving area (maybe one end for bottles, one end for draft?) and do away with the 11.30pm rule - it won't work. The union is just going to have to accept that if it is the last place open in town, at 12pm it WILL get busy. Surely being busy is a good thing, anyway?

Another solution may be to bring the closing time even shorter. 10pm? The thing to do here is get the right balance between avioding the rush, and not turning away customers but keeping the union busy. And something needs to be done about cash machines - has anyone ever looked into getting a mini one inside?

I totally agree with the idea of more bar staff (and bar space). The bottom line is, the union is a business that wants max profit and this whole 11.30 no-entry policy is risky in solving problems of a rush of people or competition from Raisen/Vic. I have arrived at the union many many times with friends all up for more drinks at midnight (or 1am Friday) and the vast crowd of people around the bar totally puts me off and I just don't bother. If there was more staff to cater for this surge of people surely they will earn more and I will certainly buy a round or two if it doesn't mean queuing up, crushed, for 10/20 mins. Also, they should layout the bar to make service snappy. Have different sections for drinks maybe? Work on it!

P.S. I also hate people who put like 20 50p's on pool tables to hog it for the whole night. Not safe at all. Any ideas to solve this one?

a possibility

Postby phil reid on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:48 pm

whilst i don't actually know, and don't particularly care many local councils make "no entry in a certain period before closing" a condition of an entertainment license, in order to discourage people just coming in to drink at a bar just before it closes. fife council did this in my first year (98-99) on saturdays, and may have done it again
phil reid

Return to The Students' Association (Union)