Home

TheSinner.net

Not being able to buy bop bands at night for other people

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:20 pm

"...if someone doesn't claim that ticket, they're effectively preventing someone else from enjoying the Bop"

You could equally say the same of someone who buys a band, goes in the Bop and then leaves after a couple of minutes. Or, as was certainly common in my day, people who pay for the Bop merely as a means of accessing quicker bar service in the Beer Bar.

"...the reason you can't buy bands for other people is that we want to make sure that we don't let more people into the Bop than we are allowed to by law"

If a record was kept of how many "tickets" had been sold then it would be quite simple to subtract that number from the total number of people allowed in the Bop. If the people had not claimed their band by a certain time then the bands could be resold. People could be required to pre-pay for their ticket. This would not only help to guarantee people turning up to claim their bands but it would also mean that the Union wasn't losing out financially.
Al

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:01 pm

ARTooD2's suggestion of a pre printed book of tickets seems the best bet to me - stamp them with an ink stamp when someone buys a ticket, then later that night they exchange the ticket for a bop band.

The only problem I can see with this is that it may be slightly harder to keep track of numbers of bands/tickets sold. The way round this is as follows.

Have a box of bands with the correct number in for the venue capacity, let's say 800 bands. For every ticket that you sell to someone, take a band out of the box, and place it in another box. Then when people come along with their ticket to exchange it for a band, give them a band out of the second box. When all the bands are gone out of the second box, you know that all the tickets for that night have been swapped for bands. Also, if there are still bands in the second box later on that night, and no bands left for open sale, you can havea cut off point where you say that the bands in teh second box are now on general sale say after 12pm.

I'd like to see reasons why this system wouldn't work - and remember, we're only talking about 60 - 70 tickets on a busy night to be sold, and that's a very high estimate.

If it's because it costs money to print tickets, then this is a pointless arguement. The cost of printing the tickets (£30 for a book of 1000) would easily be redeemed in the extra bands sold for friends to collect later, and it is a gesture of goodwill also. The only other cost would be an ink stamp to stamp the ticket with, which is also surely easily obtained - I'm sure there will be one lying about somewhere in the union
Rennie

answers

Postby phil reid on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:47 pm

as the petty and small minded beaurocrat responsible for this I can also give definitive answers.

I always did alot of door duties and always knew people who were buying 2 bands were generally buying them to give to others in the way outlined above. As VPS I had a very production line-esque bop door, and we got people through ridiculously quickly.
The bands my predessor ordered for me to use without my checking were obviously rubbish, but as we had 2 years worth i couldn't do anything with them. I think hannah ordered better one, but i can't really recall now.

in my day capacity was an issue as well, we filled as many term time fridays as not, i've no idea how this is now but the union has to play it safe.

as far as the stamps go they went a year or two before me but older students said you could easily press your hand onto someone elses and copy the stamp.
phil reid

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:03 pm

"as far as the stamps go they went a year or two before me but older students said you could easily press your hand onto someone elses and copy the stamp."

From what I remember of the stamps, I don't think this is entirely accurate. The stamps always used symbols that were easy to spot if people had attempted to do what you describe. It was possible but not easy. Not that stopped people attempting it. Often right in front of the bop entrance.
Al

Re:

Postby physicist on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Cain from 14:44, 20th Dec 2005
one of my academic brothers kept all of his bop bands in a drawer, found out what colour they were doing on any given night, then went and looked that one out, thus avoiding paying for a substantial number of bops.

You'd require a lot of bop bands to do that, as there are more designs than Fridays in the academic year.
physicist

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 am

this year there have already been at least 2 yellow bands and three green so i think the design system rotation thing has gone wrong.

Re:

Postby Admin on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:56 am

The colours may be the same, but the shape of the band and the symbols printed on them are different.
Admin

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:28 am

I have two identical flourescent yellow bop bands here, with a straight edge, from two different bops. And I don't go to all the bops.

And yes, I'm sad, I stick the cut-off bands to my noticeboard at the end of the night.

Quoting Admin from 00:56, 9th Jan 2006
The colours may be the same, but the shape of the band and the symbols printed on them are different.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Kaydo. on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:20 pm

Use UV ink with the stamps and have a blacklight above the main entrance (like several nightclubs i know of). Surely that would make it harder to forge? (along with random shaped stamps)
Kaydo.

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:35 pm

no there have def been two straight edged yellow ones and two curvy green ones although yes the greens are a very slightly different shade.

Previous

Return to The Students' Association (Union)