Home

TheSinner.net

The Accomodation situation

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

The Accomodation situation

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 pm

We all know the problems, and it seems to me that lobbying isn't having a great effect. I was wondering the other day - there are a whole lot of people right now searching for flats and finding themselves screwed over by a lack of choice and spiralling rates. This surely gives intrepid journalists quite a story? Stricken students, university strategic plans that are going to create barriers for students who aren't quite so well off, greedy landlords laughing all the way to the bank?

I feel that working the media (and I don't just mean the Saint and the Citizen, but the national press, the beeb etc) and getting some negative press for the university will really get our cause noticed and, more importantly, hit Brian Lang where it hurts.

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby JM on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 21:55, 2nd Feb 2006
We all know the problems, and it seems to me that lobbying isn't having a great effect. I was wondering the other day - there are a whole lot of people right now searching for flats and finding themselves screwed over by a lack of choice and spiralling rates. This surely gives intrepid journalists quite a story? Stricken students, university strategic plans that are going to create barriers for students who aren't quite so well off, greedy landlords laughing all the way to the bank?

I feel that working the media (and I don't just mean the Saint and the Citizen, but the national press, the beeb etc) and getting some negative press for the university will really get our cause noticed and, more importantly, hit Brian Lang where it hurts.

[hr]

And whats all this got to do with Bryan Lang?!?!? He is doing a job, the uni is in serious shit debt wise so he is only doing what is necessary, that is, if it is him making that decision.

I think you are just looking to attack the top man without thinking of all the many others that may be to blame. And, even if it turned out it was his decision, im pretty sure he had very good reason to and no other choice.

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:59 pm

Well, I use the name loosely, I'm talking about the movers and shakers high up in the university. They're trying to attract wealthier students and building the according higher-cost accomodation, skipping out the lower-cost accomodation that's sorely needed.

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:30 am

What's it got to do with Brian Lang? Well, to use a term much beloved by his predecessor, he is the "Chief Executive of the University of St Andrews plc".
Al

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:44 am

Regardless of who's decision it was, I still don't think the DRA is an efficient use of money.

Instead of pouring money into what are basically luxury penthouses for the rich, why not use the same money to build some giant new, conventional halls? That way, you'd fit in more people, and thus make either the same amount of money or more than you would with the DRA.

I suppose it makes sense, in a way, but I'm sure the University has its reasons for doing things the way it is. I'm glad, hopefully it won't spiral out of control until after I've graduated in '09.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:45 am

Yes - its because the revenue from students for 9 months is pretty limited in comparison the the revenue from summer guests to their new "luxury appartments" Thye are quite obviously holidaying appartments.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Garnet on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:17 am

newt is cool

[hr]

Oh no, have i said too much? Damn, damn these lips of mine!

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Return to The Students' Association (Union)