Home

TheSinner.net

Postgraduate Student Life?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Postgraduate Student Life?

Postby Stephanie on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:31 am

Hi. I recently just found out that I have been accepted for a History Graduate Diploma at St. Andrews. I'm wondering, though...what sort of student life is there for Postgraduates? I'm coming from Canada, so I won't know anyone in Scotland. And my undergraduate school had 50,000 students, so I really have no concept of what sort of community "smaller schools" have. Are postgraduates fairly intergrated in the University? Or do they have their own little niche? I'm only 21, so I still want to have some semblance of a social life. Are posgradutes generally younger as well, or are they older? These are the important questions one must ask upon considering postgraduate education, of course. :)
Stephanie

Re:

Postby Kristin on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Hey!
The postgrad community in St Andrews can be quite tight, with lots of gossip, especially if you choose to live in Gannochy (which is a proper hall, as opposed to some of the other flat-based accommodations)... There's always something on, and you can't help bumping into people in town/pubs/library... Nothing stops you from joining societies and spending time with undergrads! Most people are about 22-25, but there are always some younger ones and some older ones about...
Drop me an email if you have any more questions (even though I'm an English postgrad, not a History one) at mko4@st-andrews.ac.uk

[hr]

Rochester. Royalist rakehell and rebellious romantic restoration poet. An easy earl and a cavalier chum of Charlie's (II). Wine and women, mirth and laughter - sermons and soda water? The day after? Not for the narcissistic nobleman!
Rochester. Royalist rakehell and rebellious romantic restoration poet. An easy earl and a cavalier chum of Charlie's (II). Wine and women, mirth and laughter - sermons and soda water? The day after? Not for the narcissistic nobleman!
Kristin

Re:

Postby nicolafoister on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:34 pm

Hey there glad to hear you are interested in St Andrews. Thought I would just let you know that there is a PG Society who run events throughout the year for PG students. You can also get involved in loads of other societies - we are one of and possibly the most society rich university in the UK!!

Nicola Foister
SSC PG Officer/PG Society President
nicolafoister

Return to The Students' Association (Union)