Home

TheSinner.net

Packing!

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Packing!

Postby Jacob on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:51 am

Ok, it's September. I'm an American and I'm flying into Edinburgh two weeks from tomorrow. I'll do some shopping there and then move in on the 20th. So what do I pack? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (especially those "When I was a fresher, the one thing I really wish I'd brought with me was..." statements). Thanks. Hope everyone's enjoying the last few weeks of summer :)

Jacob
Jacob

Re:

Postby benedict on Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:48 pm

see here: http://www.thesinner.co.uk/messageboard ... hread=5029

& here:

http://www.thesinner.co.uk/messageboard ... hread=4893

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
benedict

PreSesh Pack

Postby Ben Spiers on Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:48 pm

In your PreSesh Pack you will find the Alternative Prospectus which features a list of items that experience suggests will be useful. However, for those overseas students on this board (who won't be getting their Packs until they arrive), I reproduce it below:

Union Temporary Membership Card (it'll be in your Pack when you get to your Hall)

lots of passport photos

form of ID - passport / photocopy of birth certificate

acceptance letter from the university - you may have problems at Customs without it

corkscrew

can-opener

music

posters

thumb-tacks / blu-tack

tea / coffee

small amount of crockery / cutlery

snacks, especially foreign ones: for example, you can't get Twinkies in the UK

alarm clock

disposable camera

toilet paper

I'll try to post a checklist for overseas students on the website - www.yourunion.net

Ben Spiers
Director of Services
Ben Spiers

Re:

Postby Sudip on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:31 am

plug converters!

they cost quite a bit in the UK
Sudip

what to pack

Postby pam on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:05 pm

[s]Unregisted User Jacob wrote on 03:11, 2nd Sep 2003:
Ok, it's September. I'm an American and I'm flying into Edinburgh two weeks from tomorrow. I'll do some shopping there and then move in on the 20th. So what do I pack? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (especially those "When I was a fresher, the one thing I really wish I'd brought with me was..." statements). Thanks. Hope everyone's enjoying the last few weeks of summer :)

Jacob

Pack only what you can carry. You can buy just about anything in St. Andrews. The little more it costs is still less that shipping it over, plus you start off on the right foot and get to interact with the locals. Good luck and have fun!
pam

Re:

Postby Jacob on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:05 pm

Thanks guys.

Jacob
Jacob

Packing

Postby Rosanna on Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:42 am

[s]Ben Spiers wrote on 13:48, 4th Sep 2003:
In your PreSesh Pack you will find the Alternative Prospectus which features a list of items that experience suggests will be useful. However, for those overseas students on this board (who won't be getting their Packs until they arrive), I reproduce it below:

Union Temporary Membership Card (it'll be in your Pack when you get to your Hall)

lots of passport photos

acceptance letter from the university - you may have problems at Customs without it

corkscrew

can-opener

music

posters

thumb-tacks / blu-tack

tea / coffee

alarm clock

disposable camera

toilet paper

I'll try to post a checklist for overseas students on the website - www.yourunion.net

Ben Spiers
Director of Services

Thank you for that list Ben! Even though I'm not travelling all the way from the States I am coming from Brussels so, kinda far I suppose right? I found it useful anyway seeing as it'll be my first time in St andrews too. I'd better go empty my case now and start again.. :)
Rosanna

Re:

Postby ems on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:43 pm

[s]Ben Spiers wrote on 14:48, 4th Sep 2003:

lots of passport photos

corkscrew

can-opener

music

posters

thumb-tacks / blu-tack

tea / coffee

alarm clock

disposable camera

toilet paper

Ben Spiers
Director of Services

When does the pres-sesh pack arrive??? Should I have mine by now. I only live down the road in Perth.
ems

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:27 am

Instead of sending a pack this year (notice that the above messages were written last year), we're giving out all packs when everyone arrives.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby D Tail on Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm

Toilet paper? Is that a joke? Hardly an essential to bring from America. Halls are not that stingy. And all the other items can be bought easily in St An drews
D Tail

Return to The Students' Association (Union)