Home

TheSinner.net

Brutal truth please - what's st andrew's like?!

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Brutal truth please - what's st andrew's like?!

Postby suzy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:57 pm

hiya i've been looking over some unis to try and help me decide which ones to apply to - can i have some freely spoken and completely truthful opinions of what u all think of st andrews to help me?!
Cheers! xXxXx
suzy

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:22 pm

If you want to have a student life full of clubbing and cheap drinking nites dont come here!
Otherwise if you dont rate that as the only thing you want out of uni St A's is a pretty good place to come, despite its obvious faults!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:37 am

St.Andrews is a very unique university. If your used to the quiet village/town type lifestyle, where there arent really any clubs, but lots of pubs, then St.Andrews is great. This may come across biased, but if you really do value friendship, and enjoy 'making your own fun' then St.A is def the place for you. It can be hard for some settling in (it was for me), but you really do start to enjoy it after a while if you get stuck in! In the end you should really come on a visiting day, if you like what you see, and can imagine yourself living here, then your best to apply!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:24 pm

Well i used to live in Glasgow, so i had Glasgow & Strathclyde quite close by. I could have equally gone to Edinburgh or Dundee but i chose here for the following reasons:

It was away from home.
Its a close community. (something like 50% of the population are students - but dont quote me on that)
Your on the campus so no getting buses everywhere or anything like that.
It has one if not the best rep in Scotland.

Im a first year doing Maths & Computing and have friends at various other unis around Scotland. I have NEVER felt like i made a wrong decision coming here, but my friends had their doubts about their unis. But this is my opinon of course but i'd like to think im not horribly biast lol.

The best thing to do it just to come and visit, just spend the day here or even a couple of hours visit the department your likely to be studying at and get your own opinon.
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

It's great!

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:12 pm

Well i used to live in Glasgow, so i had Glasgow & Strathclyde quite close by. I could have equally gone to Edinburgh or Dundee but i chose here for the following reasons:

It was away from home.
Its a close community. (something like 50% of the population are students - but dont quote me on that)
Your on the campus so no getting buses everywhere or anything like that.
It has one if not the best rep in Scotland.

Im a first year doing Maths & Computing and have friends at various other unis around Scotland. I have NEVER felt like i made a wrong decision coming here, but my friends had their doubts about their unis. But this is my opinon of course but i'd like to think im not horribly biast lol.

The best thing to do it just to come and visit, just spend the day here or even a couple of hours visit the department your likely to be studying at and get your own opinon.

Re:

Postby KS on Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:12 pm

i'm from newcastle and have had so much fun both in my hall and in the union that i don't miss the well known night life of back home. it's different but its definitely not worse.
KS

Truly, it's brutal

Postby Cain on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:56 pm

i'm from a village with about 2,000 people, a smallish school (700 kids from different villages) and not much to do.

St Andrews is a paradise for me - you can't walk to tesco and back without meeting at least two people that you know. There's a really good vibe about the town, there are things to do and more importantly there are people to do things with. I love St Andrews.

My twin brother is at Glasgow Uni where he is thriving. he couldn't handle life here as it would be too quiet, and i couldn't take living in glasgow either. a lot of it will depend on how you feel about it.

i definitely got a good feeling about the place when i came on visiting days. come along and visit - let the sinner know when you're coming up and somebody might offer to show you around.

best of luck

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Reassuring!

Postby Toy on Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:09 am

Wow, hearing all of these positive comments on the Uni is extremely reassuring to me, as I have resently accepted my invitation into the uni. Thanks for the great advice (though I wasn't actually the one who started the thread).
Toy

Re:

Postby Nelson on Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:49 pm

One thing I feel I must say on this subject, though: go aay during the holidays. There is nothing more boring that being here over the holidays, not even north-east costal towns.

[hr]"The Council, the Council can go to hell. And the emergency session can go to hell. And you, you can go to hell too. I wouldn't want you to feel left out!"
Nelson

Return to The Students' Association (Union)