Home

TheSinner.net

Who is Marco Biagi?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Re:

Postby Quentinfetishwoman on Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:31 pm

Marco is really fucking cool. I have a lot of respect for him. Not only that, hes a good laugh, too.
"Horror by definition is the emotion of pure revulsion. Terror by the same standard is that of fearful anticipation"-Dario Argento
Quentinfetishwoman

Re:

Postby mossop on Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:03 am

[s]Bonnie wrote on 18:26, 4th Mar 2004:
Marco Biagi= loving young man who gives really good hugs.

Hell yeah, I got a really good one on friday night :)
Thanks Marco!
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Lovely Marco

Postby pete on Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Oh and he was about to be disqualified from last year's presidential election for illegally printing posters before he withdrew, citing everyone else's foul play.

He then decided to throw his weight behind a ron campaign, using union facilities to do this. Now call me a stickler for rules but he was supposed to be a union official at the time (the fact he was never in the union due to some alleged 'dark period' meant you wouldn't be mistaken for thinking the contrary) and it seemed slightly improper to firstly violate election rules and then use union resources to back what is theoretically a candidate of the election. And, should he not have been actually doing his job of VPR rather than doing pathetic chalk drawings on the pavements of st andrews? - something which the residents weren't particularly happy about.

So Marco is not the knight in shining armour for the oppressed masses that a lot of people have so far made him out to be. It seems he'a still a human being and, like the rest of us, is susceptible to greed, selfishness and arrogance.
pete

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:20 am

Same old same old. I've never made much of a secret of the fact that I had off-budget publicity printed and ready to roll. If you want to be accurate, Pete m'dear, it was 600 flyers, not posters. The difference between me and some others was that even when faced with having my hopes completely steamrollered, I couldn't do that. Faced with the choice of continuing a campaign that could only have run illegally in the face of a level of naked personal hostility that cotton-wooled pricks like you can never imagine or standing down, I chose the latter. Even with the sheer level of illegality being used by the opposition, I couldn't rationalise it. It stinks and I still wish it could have been different.

And yes I recommended RON, but [probably not] for the last time, the closest thing to union resources I gave them were condoms, which are given out *free* - yes, free, gasp! - to any student who wants them. Ben, Alyson, Niall, Shreena and the rest on the RON campaign probably gave out more condoms than all of Hannah's bloody condom distribution volunteers combined.

All I've ever done for the union, or for St Andrews, has been motivated by the belief that everyone deserves the same chance at life. Now why don't you go back to bemoaning the terrible defeat of your candidate by Derek MacLeod (he was robbed, I'm sure) like a nice little Northite, hmmm?
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby h on Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:14 pm

Marco 'dolly thrown from pram' Biagi.
h

It just gets better

Postby pete on Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:02 pm

I do like your bizarre justification for printing the extra flyers as stipulated on your website (yup, I'm very bored at the moment so thought I'd help with the hit count on your site - looks like you need it). In the relevant article, where you call yourself 'a legend in my own student union' and rather modestly comment that you would have beaten Derek, you state that you chose a campaign colour 'for the ease of producing illegal material on it'. Now that seems to imply that before campaigning had already begun you had a plan to act illegally, regardless of what injustices you felt you suffered during the election week. And anyway, when has it been fine to break the rules just because others apparently have? Pretty fucked up logic if you ask me.

'All I've ever done for the union, or for St Andrews, has been motivated by the belief that everyone deserves the same chance at life.' - I'm sorry but in light of your justification for acting illegally this statement just sounds pathetically false.
pete

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:42 pm

Mmmmm, arguments in Sinner backwater threads. 'A legend in his own student union' is something someone else called me, and which in its parochial connotation is hardly the most flattering comment, is it? Perhaps you are one of those rumoured Americans who doesn't understand irony*.

I do think I would have beaten Derek, yes. That's my assessment of the election. When I was running Germaine Greer's campaign, on election day I wouldn't have given her a one in five chance of winning. Some you win, some you lose. Most you have an opinion on.

And yes, like I say for the tiny few people in the world that stop by, I had plans for large-scale illegal campaigning, should it become necessary. It's like the nuclear weapons that governments buy and hope they will never have to use. When the time came to press the button, I didn't. Considering it would have annoyed people like you who seem to obsess about hating me (it seems to be an article of faith in debates circles, doesn't it?), maybe I should have.

* I never agreed with this. How can a nation that doesn't understand irony produce 'Frasier'?
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:46 pm

Oh, and on the predictions front Pete, here are some of yours:

"Not only will they have a useless president but Biagi will be hounding them all year. Of course the only reason he supported derek is so that next year he can compare himself to a shit president when standing, again, for President himself."

In the words of Will MacFarlane:
"I would like to thank Marco for always being there for help and advice without being intrusive. It is a sensitive balance and you got it just right!"

[hr]"our very own Slobodan Milosevic"
- Saint Sal, first generation Sinner, 2001.
http://www.marcobiagi.com
Marco Biagi

Marco Biagi

Postby bob hoskins on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:59 pm

The guy is a fool.
Incapable of winning anything.
bob hoskins

Charming

Postby A on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:59 pm

I'm in the same class as you Marco and I find you really charming.. and indeed your leftist views too. Smile a bit more and i'll fall for you big time.
Got a girlfriend?
A

mean pete

Postby unimpressed on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:00 pm

[s]pete wrote on 14:02, 30th Mar 2004:
I do like your bizarre justification for printing the extra flyers as stipulated on your website (yup, I'm very bored at the moment so thought I'd help with the hit count on your site - looks like you need it). In the relevant article, where you call yourself 'a legend in my own student union' and rather modestly comment that you would have beaten Derek, you state that you chose a campaign colour 'for the ease of producing illegal material on it'. Now that seems to imply that before campaigning had already begun you had a plan to act illegally, regardless of what injustices you felt you suffered during the election week. And anyway, when has it been fine to break the rules just because others apparently have? Pretty fucked up logic if you ask me.

'All I've ever done for the union, or for St Andrews, has been motivated by the belief that everyone deserves the same chance at life.' - I'm sorry but in light of your justification for acting illegally this statement just sounds pathetically false.

Leave Marco Biagi alone what's done is done and who are you to judge him. To me he seems a decent person and I seriously doubt that he is half the conniving renegade that you make him out to be. I beleive that he honestly thinks that people should have the same chance in life, and it is not a crime to wish to succed yourself. So in short, you've made your point now either apologise or say no more.
unimpressed

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:30 pm

[s]Unregisted User bob hoskins wrote on 12:13, 30th Mar 2004:
The guy is a fool.
Incapable of winning anything.

Apart from the DoR election a couple of years ago, you mean?

[hr]
[s]What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?

Across the sea
A pale moon rises.
The ships have come
To carry you home.

[/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:06 pm

would i be correct in saying that marco did hold SRC/SSC positions in the two years prior to his election as VPR?

[hr]do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

realism

Postby old hand on Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:31 am

anyone who has worked with marco in the union knows the truth of this.

he is a wheedling whining small child whose confrontational style and long absenses last year (along with rory's incompetetance, screwed up the unions relationship wiht the uni.

i used to like him, but thought he had a chip on his shoulder. now the chip has overwhelmed the person. he cannot view any situation objectively, only in the light of everyone hating him. he is driven by the utter belief that only he can do the right and best thing for people, and whilst that in some people is an excellent thing, is this case it isn't because marco can barely represent himself.

remember this is a man who fulfilled virtually none of his responsibilities as VPR, and then felt that this qualified him to run for president. when he felt himself losing the election (there was no significant evidence of another candidate producing extra publicity) he threw his rattle from the plan, resigned from the election, (again), and tried to undermine and discredit this election to the only organisation that can effectively represent students.

does this really sound like the kind of person who is fit to represent students?

I think not

p.s. you notice my judgement does not say whether i agree or disagree with his actions in office, as i did agree with most of what little he did, but base my comments on his performance.

p.p.s. he was elected first year rep, then lost student support to alex forsdyke, came onto src again as a gatty rep, won vpr against an unknown by a handful of votes, and was on his way to lose to james north and possibly derek before giving up in the 2003 election
old hand

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:26 am

It must be great to be psychic.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:09 pm

[s]Al wrote on 11:26, 21st Apr 2004:
It must be great to be psychic.

you tell me
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:51 am

Ha ha i only found out recently that he lives in the same hall as me. God i need to get out of my room and get to know people.

[hr]IMAGE:www.queensofthestoneage.com/images/logo_qotsa.gif
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby He does make exceedingly good cakes on Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:47 pm

Ok so in this forum four things have been established:
[l]
[li]Germain Greer is stupid
[li]Marco Biagi is a cool name
[li]Marco Biagi has generated a lot of controvery in something which isn't even that important juxtaposed with many other things
[li]Whilst threads are deleted when people attack a first year reps website material, it is still OK to make fun of somebody else who has tried to better St Andrews, because that is cool.
[/l]

Why hasn't this thread been frozen or cancelled yet?
He does make exceedingly good cakes

An Old Sage

Postby DGJ on Sun May 02, 2004 11:29 am

As a SRC Officer from a few years ago, it brings a certain wry smile to see the same old non-sense going on.

Marco, relax, none of it really matters that much.

DGJ
DGJ

sic transit gloria Marco

Postby old hand on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:20 pm

Since everyone seems to be writing Marco's eulogy, thought I'd have a bash with a little help from Shakespeare. Marco is "one that loved not wisely but too well" - I haven't met him in nearly two years, but based on what I knew then and have heard since, in my view the best and worst thing about him was his inability to adopt the degree of apathy which allows most people to stay sane.

In paticular when it comes to his image and to his sense of justice, Marco just cares too much.

I should have been a TV psychologist.

Best wishes Marco, if you read this.
old hand

Previous

Return to The Students' Association (Union)