Home

TheSinner.net

Einstein project (geometry)

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Einstein project (geometry)

Postby chris bashian on Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:09 am

During Einstein’s life, he was involved in the controversial “Manhattan Project”. Many people believe that it was wrong to utilize his genius in such a violent manner. Others believe the project was a huge scientific success. My opinion on this is that his knowledge should have been applied to a better, and more peaceful way. If Einstein had not worked on the atom bomb, the world could probably have been much less violent and scary. Nearly every country in the world has stockpiles of bombs just waiting to be fired off. This effect of the project could have been prevented had Einstein not contributed to it.
You might be asking what any of this has to do with mathematics. Einstein had developed many different theories and equations in his lifetime, some of which he used in the idea of the atom bomb. Mainly, it was his equation E=mc². This formula tells us the amount of energy a certain mass would be equivalent to, if it were all suddenly turned into energy. It says that to find the energy, you multiply the mass by the square of the speed of light (300,000,000 meters per second). Using this formula, Einstein realized that the great amount of energy released could be used as a powerful explosive.
For example, consider a simple hydrogen atom, basically composed of a single proton. This subatomic particle has a mass of
0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001 672 kg
This is a tiny mass indeed. But in everyday quantities of matter there are a lot of atoms! For instance, in one kilogram of pure water, the mass of hydrogen atoms amounts to just slightly more than 30 grams, or 0.030 kg. The equation would look like this:
E=mc²
= 0.030 x 300,000,000 x 300,000,000 = 2,700,000,000,000,000 Joules
A Joule is not a large unit of energy, but the amount of energy in 30 grams of hydrogen atoms is equivalent to burning 270,000 gallons of gasoline. Realizing this extreme power released from hydrogen atoms led Einstein to come up with the idea of the atom bomb.
His own beliefs were against the use of nuclear weapons, however he took part in the project to prevent Hitler in Germany finding the technology before America did. He knew of the devastating power of the bomb, but decided to work on it anyway. Although I am against this decision, it did help the allied powers in World War II. We were fully protected from the advancements of Germany and therefore could be ready for any imminent attack.
chris bashian

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:50 pm

What does this have to do with the Union?

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:05 pm

I think your point about the world being less violent is unfounded. Remember the world stopped fighting when A bombs were used and they have never been used in such a way since.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)

My website:
http://aa.domaindlx.com/munchingfoo/
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:57 pm

[s]munchingfoo wrote on 20:05, 14th Apr 2004:[i]
I think your point about the world being less violent is unfounded. Remember the world stopped fighting when A bombs were used and they have never been used in such a way since.

I'd have too agree with that.

[hr]
Never buy a midget with learning difficulties, It's not big and it's not clever
The Famous Philosopher

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:45 am

[s]Bonnie wrote on 18:50, 14th Apr 2004:

Didnt you know Bonnie that another one of einsteins famous equations was:

Fool of yourself = (units drunk)^2 x (location) +/- (whether the karaoke was on) +/- (mates your with)
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:34 am

If this is referring to last Thursday, may I please apologise and then ask you to drink enough yourself in order to erase all memory of it.

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:53 am

I know little of your drunken events on thursday and i wont even bother to ask because i know you wont tell :p
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Manhattan Project

Postby mutseh on Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:14 am

Einstein had zero to do with the actual theory, design and completion of the atom bomb. Go to wikipedia and type in Manhattan project and you'll see.
mutseh

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue May 18, 2004 6:56 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 18:50, 14th Apr 2004:

Perhaps he was attempting to propose an amendment to the Strategic Plan?

[hr]
"And all the people rejoiced, and said: 'God save the King! Long live the King! ...May the King live forever!'" - Handel, 'Zadok the Priest'
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to The Students' Association (Union)