Home

TheSinner.net

Decisions decisions decisions...

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Decisions decisions decisions...

Postby Han on Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:31 am

Hey everyone!

I have just gotten home after a visit to St Andrews (quite a trek - I live near Bristol!) and really liked what I saw......BUT I now have a dilemma - Edinburgh vs. St Andrews.

I hope to be doing classics and poss medieval history and tbh I like the course at both unis so the deciding factor is the place. For me theatre is one of the most important things I'm currently involved in (and what I'd like to go into after graduation) but I didn't really get a sense of it's presence when I visited yesterday.

I've never been one for clubbing - more of a pub girl really - and live in a small village already so am used to the quiet, but Bristol is in such easy reach if I want to go out then it's there. What is the union like? We didn't go inside so what facilities are there? I've heard of 'Venue 1' and 'Venue 2' but what exactly are they (sorry if that's a dumb question :-))

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice - what, in the end, made you choose St Andrews above any other university you looked at? Any regrets? And of course the all-important theatre question...(lol).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! (I have to make my final decision in a week or so - eep)

Han
xx
Han

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:37 pm

[s]Unregisted User Han wrote on 23:02, 15th Apr 2004:
I hope to be doing classics and poss medieval history and tbh I like the course at both unis so the deciding factor is the place. For me theatre is one of the most important things I'm currently involved in (and what I'd like to go into after graduation) but I didn't really get a sense of it's presence when I visited yesterday.

I've never been one for clubbing - more of a pub girl really - and live in a small village already so am used to the quiet, but Bristol is in such easy reach if I want to go out then it's there. What is the union like? We didn't go inside so what facilities are there? I've heard of 'Venue 1' and 'Venue 2'

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice - what, in the end, made you choose St Andrews above any other university you looked at? Any regrets? And of course the all-important theatre question...(lol).

Venue 1 is the largest venue in the Association Building it has a standing capacity of 1000 and seated capacity of 400. It is normally only used for theatre by the shows that are going to have very large audiences (musicals etc). Venue 2 is a smaller venue on the top floor that has a capacity of 100.

There are other theatre venues in town as the Byre has a 200(ish) main theatre and a studio theatre (possibly 100) upstairs. There are other venues around town that are used as well but I would not remember them all.

At the moment there seems to be a concentration of the shows coming together which is a shame as fitting them around the essay deadlines is not ideal. I'm sure someone else can answer more specifically on any other issues relating to theatre

I was more of a pub person than a club person, so I find St Andrews ideal. If that is the atmosphere you like St Andrews is great, and if you need to escape it is possible to get out and go elsewhere. I would advise if you come here to avoid the train home and stick to easy jet from Edinburgh to Bristol. As if you book early it’s roughly the some price. I took the train until third year, now will only do that if I have vast amounts of luggage.
Simon Atkins

Theatre

Postby Ben Spiers on Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:47 pm

Theatre at St Andrews is one of the most vibrant areas, and easily outstrips any University I know of. We regularly see over 40 shows per year, plus short films, feature films, musicals, dance and even opera occasionally.

Check out the section called Mermaids (the University Theatre Society) in the Guide to St Andrews:
http://www.thesinner.net/article/87
Ben Spiers

Re:

Postby confused on Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:44 pm

Hi, I have the same sort of dilema too, choosing between St. Andrews and Edinburgh, apart from I'm going to be doing biology.

I also have about a week to decide, eek it is quite scary. From what I saw on the visit day I liked. I just can't quite decide to go self-catering or catering for 1st year. Have you decided?
confused

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:24 am

[s]Unregisted User confused wrote on 17:59, 19th Apr 2004:
I just can't quite decide to go self-catering or catering for 1st year. Have you decided?

I have lived in Catered halls all four years and I think this the reason I have enjoyed the years I did so much. Don't expect the food to be fantastic but it is the best way to meet people. The catered halls have the strongest hall spirit and I would always choose them for that reason. I also found it easier when I first arrived being in catered accommodation as it is easier to sit down next to randoms at dinner to meet new people than knocking on every door in a hall to say hello.

I dose very much depend on what you want from hall life, especially as the catered halls are expensive. If you want a hall with a good community I would also ask for standard (not en-suite) accommodation.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:04 am

Why Simon, because having to go to the toilet helps with hall spirit?

No, obviously, I know what you meant. I just find myself hilarious.

But to the people considering St Andrews. Even though we do have so much in the way of student social activities, if you can think of one that we're not covering, we'll (quite literally, "we", it'll be my and Simon's job, along with others) help you.
The small town thing is great because you get to know how everything works and can make a real impact if you want. Everyone from biologists to classicists (so forget how to spell that) get together in the pubs, some more laid backand some more lively.
If, for whatever reason, you do feel like a bit of the big city, you can always hop on the train to Edinburgh or Glasgow for the day.
But I do have to get back to work now.
If you do decide to come, give me an e-mail next year and I'll make sure you get to know everything you ever need to know about theatre in St Andrews.
[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby tintin on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:43 am

The things that swayed me with an equal offer from Durham and St. Andrews were: if I could hack the weather up here, I could hack anything (actually it's not really that bad!), the Red Gowns were a major plus point and simply not being in a big city - possibly the only small-town University in Britain, apart of the Welsh ones and maybe one or two others.

It sounds like you'd fit right in here; you've got the enthusiasm that goes down well: if you're after making a name for yourself, here is the place to do it, especially with your interests.

Go for it!
tintin

WOW

Postby Han on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:33 pm

Good lord!

Well thanks for all that info guys - I meant to write here for a while but have been stuck with stuff like yearbook (so close to finishing now.....).

Well in the end I DID choose St Andy's and now (grades permitting) I shall hopefully be joining you to shake things up this September.

bye for now
H
x
Han

Return to The Students' Association (Union)