Home

TheSinner.net

very confused

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

very confused

Postby Brett on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:32 pm

hey folks. i'm a soon-to-be-fresher coming from the USA, so i'm not quite used to the British education system. i'm sitting here looking over the various "modules" to take, and am wondering what exactly a "module" is. is it a class/course to take? also, if my course name is "general arts," can i major in History?- (which is what i'd like to major in). what modules do i sign up for first- the 1000 or the 2000 ones? thanks so much- i apologize if i sound confusing. see you in september.
Brett

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:48 pm

A module is a class that you take throughout the semester. if you're arts then the chances are that you'll be taking three 20 credit first year modules in each semester. in my first year i took modules in international relations (then my proposed major), modern history and management. you don't have to take the same modules in each semester; i.e. just because i did management in semester 1 doesn't mean i had to take it in semester 2.

right. generally 1000 level modules are for first years, 2000 level modules are for second years, etc etc.

as for majoring in history, i would guess you can; i came here to do international relations and am now going into senior honours for management and modern history - it's a very flexible system.

best of luck

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:38 pm

The term "general arts" simply allows you to choose what ever you want from 1000 level modules. If you were admitted to a specific subject you would have to take certain cources in that subject.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:48 pm

The term "general arts" simply allows you to choose what ever you want from 1000 level modules. If you were admitted to a specific subject you would have to take certain cources in that subject.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby KMart Cowgirl on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:09 am

psi, repeating yourself I see...next thing you know you will really start to loose it and start talking to yourself out loud...i give it a week in the new job before you are totally crazy!

;)

your loving daughter *mwah*
"I got into an arguement with my rice crispies. I distinctly heard 'snap, crackle, fuck you!' I'm not sure which one of them said it, but I heard it and I said, 'well, you can all just sit right there in the milk as far as I'm concerned, until I find out which one of you said it.' Mass Punishment--the idea is to turn them against eachother." -Emily Krueger...my fave Jersey Girl!
KMart Cowgirl

advice

Postby 5handicapgolfer on Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:37 pm

take easy modules first year
IS1001 is a perfect choice
5handicapgolfer

Re:

Postby someone on Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:13 pm

[s]Unregisted User Brett wrote on 03:29, 15th Jun 2004:
hey folks. i'm a soon-to-be-fresher coming from the USA, so i'm not quite used to the British education system. i'm sitting here looking over the various "modules" to take, and am wondering what exactly a "module" is. is it a class/course to take? also, if my course name is "general arts," can i major in History?- (which is what i'd like to major in). what modules do i sign up for first- the 1000 or the 2000 ones? thanks so much- i apologize if i sound confusing. see you in september.

1) Before I came here as an American fresher I was a tad confused. Don't be worried about it. I thought I actually had to go to class in 1st year... hah, what a laugh!

Moving along... a module = a class. You take 60 credits' worth of modules per semester. Most sub-honours (Frosh/Soph) modules are 20-credits. Some others are 10-credits.

2) You should be taking 1000-level modules in 1st year. I am assuming you've read the online course catalogue, know what pre-advising is, etc.--- so you've seen the offerings for modern history, scottish history, and what-have-you. 1000-level. Cool.

If you don't want to stick to just history (which was my situation) also try to squeeze in the IR (International Relations) modules for 1st year. History students tend to like IR.

-someone.

[hr]

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby MikeyS on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:12 am

I'll be a 3rd year transfer from elon university... any folks know any elon people that used to go to St.A?
MikeyS

Return to The Students' Association (Union)