Home

TheSinner.net

Academic Parents...

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Academic Parents...

Postby J.P on Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:45 am

Do mature students get Academic Parents?

If so I might get Parents who are younger than me!
J.P

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:46 am

It's often been the case!
Thackary

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:10 pm

Oh My God! I have just remembered I get to be a Daddy in September, bloody hell.
Midget

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:09 pm

May God have mercy on all your children's souls!
Bonnie

Re:

Postby KMart Cowgirl on Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:42 am

[s]Unregisted User J.P wrote on 20:27, 8th Jul 2004:
Do mature students get Academic Parents?

If so I might get Parents who are younger than me!

YES! of course you can have academic parents!

I'm a postgrad and have 2 of the best academic sons ever (they make a mother proud), one is another PG, and the other is a mature student. Don't worry about having parents who are younger than you, it is their experience in st. andrews that really makes them good parents. Age has nothing to do with it!

so here's my plug to all the mature students and pgs out there...jump in, have fun, the union, uni traditions like the academic family and all other social events in this town are as much for you as for the 18-22 undergrad crowd! Come and see there really are great things for everyone!
"I got into an arguement with my rice crispies. I distinctly heard 'snap, crackle, fuck you!' I'm not sure which one of them said it, but I heard it and I said, 'well, you can all just sit right there in the milk as far as I'm concerned, until I find out which one of you said it.' Mass Punishment--the idea is to turn them against eachother." -Emily Krueger...my fave Jersey Girl!
KMart Cowgirl

Parents and pocket money...

Postby J.P on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:26 am

Fantastic.

What about pocket money? How much can I expect? Is there a set amount? Or does it vary? Would a fiver a week be pushing it?

I think we should know.
J.P

Re:

Postby sarah on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:56 am

I'm gonna be a 1st year this year! woo! VERY excited but how do you get your academic parents???? do ppl just come up and say, i want to be your parent?? how does it work??? quite scared about this!
sarah

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:26 pm

Most new students will get to know the people who become their "parents" from halls or societies or, yes, random conversations in the pubs or Union. Traditionally, you ask someone to be your "mother" but wait to be asked by a "father". But nothing is set in stone. The important thing to remember is that there is no rush. Try to get to know as many third/fourth years as possible. This is especially true for your "father". Plus the Union usually puts on some "Raisin orphan" event nearer Raisin Weekend for people to find parents, if they haven't yet done so.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:27 pm

[s]Midget wrote on 19:10, 9th Jul 2004:
Oh My God! I have just remembered I get to be a Daddy in September, bloody hell.

Imagine if we were parents together, Midget...both being vertically challenged, vocal and to the left of Adolf Hitler unlike most of St A--we could have some really radical academic kids!!!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:06 pm

That sounds creepy.
Midget

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:54 pm

Sorry, actually I'd definetly be up for sharing a kid. If you get any you'd like be our bastard son/daughter I'd be only to happy. I may however try to pull them at my Raisin Sunday party.
Midget

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:21 pm

At least you're honest, honey.
Bonnie

Space Efficient

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:00 am

We aren't short...

We are space efficient!
I can't WAIT to see all of you...

Someone want to adopt a [very] space efficient, red headed fresher???

Re:

Postby Pender Native on Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:43 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 06:21, 4th Sep 2004:
We aren't short...

We are space efficient!
I can't WAIT to see all of you...

Someone want to adopt a [very] space efficient, red headed fresher???

That's weird, you sound very like my academic daughter to be from Dunoon!
"I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces,
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too."
Pender Native

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:39 am

do JYAs get Academic Parents?

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:43 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 05:47, 9th Sep 2004:
do JYAs get Academic Parents?

Yes.

[hr]
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

i have a question.

Postby apple on Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:40 pm

What is the purpose of academic parents? What if you don't like your parents? How long are they going to stay with you??
apple

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:23 pm

The purpose behind them, at least in theory, is to aid new students get acquainted with life at the university. To help new students get to know a wider range of people - especially people in different years to their own. To provide support and advice.

You pick your own parents. If you don't like people - don't agree to be adopted by them or ask them to adopt you.

For as long as you want. Some academic parents/families are the start of life-long friendships (or more!). Some last through university. Some don't last until Raisin Weekend.

All of which proves the importance of choosing your parents wisely. Get to know as many 3rd/4th years as possible before making a decision. Don't settle for the first person to ask you. As a rule of thumb, and perhaps this is a grossly unfair generalisation, anyone who advertises on here for children is unlikely to be a great parent.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Return to The Students' Association (Union)