Home

TheSinner.net

Awesome!

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Awesome!

Postby someone on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:47 am

Everyone give a round of applause to Oli Walker, who made that slick poster for the Ceilidh going on at the Union. All we have to do now is sic him on the website. To the "Funky Retro Disco Thing" in the upper right hand corner: your days are numbered.

Smart idea making HMMD an appointed, not elected, position. Who exactly came up with that idea?

[hr]
"He said that my astronauts were living together in sin, and deserved to be mulched."

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:42 am

Ta Preston.

I'm working on the website too at the moment...
Oli

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:31 pm

[s]Oli wrote on 09:42, 16th Jul 2004:
Ta Preston.

I'm working on the website too at the moment...

The poster IS awesome. I agree with Preston - they have chosen the right person for the job! I am starting to look forward to seeing more of your fine advertising work when term starts!

answer

Postby phil reid on Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:32 pm

Everyone give a round of applause to Oli Walker, who made that slick poster for the Ceilidh going on at the Union. All we have to do now is sic him on the website. To the "Funky Retro Disco Thing" in the upper right hand corner: your days are numbered.

Smart idea making HMMD an appointed, not elected, position. Who exactly came up with that idea?

Me

least it was my proposal 2 1/2 years ago which unanimously passed that the odds on getting a professional standard design person through election were minimal, and that the cost of a design graduate looking to build a portfolio would not the that much greater, and would increase revenue as they would be accountable through the staff structure rather than the electorate.

It turned into the humvee whilst being hammered past some very stupid people on comittees last year by Psi (he did the hammering, not the stupiding).

I can't pretend to have been the first to propose the silliness of an elected publicity sab. see andrew jackson's ag m report for his thoughts on the vpc becoming an elected poster man (vpc 97-98)
phil reid

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:21 pm

[s]Unregisted User phil reid wrote on 21:12, 16th Jul 2004:
I can't pretend to have been the first to propose the silliness of an elected publicity sab. see andrew jackson's ag m report for his thoughts on the vpc becoming an elected poster man (vpc 97-98)

We have dug up stuff with Fi Morris' and others names on it as well. It shows good ideas will eventually break through.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:25 pm

To be fair, when the post was created, it was never intended that responsibility for Union publicity would be shunted into the remit of the VPC. Publicity was the responsibility of the Publicity Convenor and Design Convenor under the supervision of the VPS. The remit of the VPC was threefold - 1) to act as Association Secretary 2) to be Senior Elections Officer and 3) to be in charge of Union disciplinary matters.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:06 pm

Funny, it's none of those now as the Association President is now senior elections officer and the Association secretary and the Director of Services takes care of discipline.

Thank God we managed to define everyone's remits. Now there's logic in it all. Phil, you opened a can of worms when you brought up the design professional thing, but I am personally glad for it.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:01 pm

Logic, in it? Hmmm. I can't help thinking the logical thing to do would have been to leave things well enough alone. If something works, why change it?

Al

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:11 am

If it aint something that's broken, then there's no need to repair it...
Thackary

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:21 am

[s]Al wrote on 23:01, 18th Jul 2004:
Logic, in it? Hmmm. I can't help thinking the logical thing to do would have been to leave things well enough alone. If something works, why change it?

Mabey it wasn't working. Dose any one have a problem with the way it works now?

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:04 pm

It probably wasn't working. That was my point. However, before people started needlessly tinkering, it did work, and probably would have continued to work. The move from elected to an appointed position was probably a good idea. It shouldn't have been necessary however.

Al

Return to The Students' Association (Union)