Home

TheSinner.net

nightlife is like????

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

nightlife is like????

Postby Noodles on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:49 am

this uni looks a gooden, but can't find any info on night life, clubbin, drinkin etc- can some one help me please, with a truthful discription of it.thanking u x
Noodles

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:08 pm

If you want to be a little risky, go a bit dodgy, go to Dundee or the Stables.

But other than that, the best advice for me to give you would be for you just to find out for yourself.
Spend the first few weeks trying different places at night and even during the day. You'll find that the atmosphere it each pub changes throughout the day, from night to night, and from year to year.
THe scene changes on a monthly basis, nevermind trying to figure out what will be cool this year according to last year's figures.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Buffy on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:35 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 00:08, 3rd Sep 2004:
If you want to be a little risky, go a bit dodgy, go to Dundee or the Stables.

But other than that, the best advice for me to give you would be for you just to find out for yourself.
Spend the first few weeks trying different places at night and even during the day. You'll find that the atmosphere it each pub changes throughout the day, from night to night, and from year to year.
THe scene changes on a monthly basis, nevermind trying to figure out what will be cool this year according to last year's figures.

There really aren't any clubs per say in town. Definitely have to go to Dundee for that one, but there is a bus that will take you to Dundee one night a week after pubs close in StA, usually outside the Vic/union area.

Westport sometimes has areas for dancing, but other than that, if you want to dance and there isn't a ball, you're pretty much stuck with the Bop . . . which is an experience worth trying but not everyone will wish to repeat. About 3 pounds though, so not a huge outlay.

Sometimes places (check Bell street) will have live music, sometimes good, sometimes more like ppl wailing on a mic while someone bang on a drum set.

Pubs close fairly early here, so there is typically a fairly large number of flat parties available, which are often quite good, esp for freshers.
Buffy

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:05 pm

with bonnie as Doserv this year we hopefully will get alot more than just the usual cheesey music every night,

i hope to see better events than the same old dirge of cheese

[hr]
0rientation 2004 Hot Pass - Get it while it's HOT!

http://www.yourunion.net/
(Please enter Mohawk in 'How you found this site' Box)
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:55 pm

Some people might like the cheese. And judging by the success of the Bop over the years, and the comparative failure of non-cheesy events, it would appear that people do like it.

I think now is a time to relaunch Divide PFD. Or Eclipse.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Das Chair on Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:01 am

I'm thinking the time is ripe for a Prog-Rock Bop. While I have no influence on this matter, as I am merely the Association Chair, I believe that Bonnie, the Directress of services, might be swayed by the sheer ease of marketing the thing.

Hear me out, here:

The Prog-Rock Bop: Because Bonnie agreed to sell some of those legal "magic" mushrooms in Off Sales... for "research purposes only," but in case you accidentally eat one, here's a big guide to "tripping face!"
Or,

The Prog-Rock Bop: Because the "Blade Runner" theme song is just that cool.

Or,

The Prog-Rock Bop: Because you won't "get" the music if you're sober.

Cool, yes?

[hr]
someone.
Sit down before you fall down, Dr. Jones.
Das Chair

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:43 am

well, progressive rock has it's limitations,

iof it was just a rock night, well that could cover prog, punk, metal, nu metal, glam. ska and so on...
Mohawk

Re:

Postby ThrillaInManilla on Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:43 pm

...And face accusations of trying to destroy RockSoc
ThrillaInManilla

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:01 am

Are you going to sell legal mushrooms in Off-Sales Bonnie? Now that is a good idea.
Midget

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:49 pm

[s]Midget wrote on 10:01, 14th Sep 2004:
Are you going to sell legal mushrooms in Off-Sales Bonnie? Now that is a good idea.

Aah, but hte police took someone to court for refrigirating shrooms, so be careful ( apparently refrigiration is preparation)

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:50 am

[s]ThrillaInManilla wrote on 20:43, 13th Sep 2004:
...And face accusations of trying to destroy RockSoc

not at all - we'd hold it irregularly - if at all on an alternative weeknight

this is mere speculation of course
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Buffy on Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:51 pm

Judging from the suggestions of other ppl on this board, not everyone will be for this, but what about an R&B bop night. Broons has done a few R&B nights which were all massively crowded, so might be worth trying.
Buffy

A DoS is not just for Orientation Week...

Postby Director of Services on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:47 am

she's for life!

I'm in the middle of planning a big Battle of the Bands for Wednesday 24th of November which should be mainly rock bands if it's anything like the one from last year's one in Younger Hall at the same time (I've taken in over from the townspeople who didn't want to do it anymore).

It'll be around 25 bands competing for top prizes and part of the St Andrews Week festivities so it'll have coverage from all over Scotland and the UK.

Last year's winners were a high school band who were interviewed on Kingdom FM and other stuff like that. This year promises to be even huger!

Definately always watch out for what I've got up my sleeve.

Subsequently, if anyone wants to submit a demo to be considered as a finalist for the night, email doserv@st-and.ac.uk and I'll tell what's happening.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:55 am

Das Chair, or should I call you Dr. Funkenstein?

You are right.

Prog Rock night.

Yes, Rush, Floyd, ELP, Focus, Dream Theater and more!

Songs that last over 10 minutes!

[hr][s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:59 pm

ABITW by Pink Floyd classic track
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Lacks soul, like the whole of The Wall - it is a Roger Waters indulgance, the miserable git.

He's one of the best song writes ever to come out of britain, but goddamn he knows it.

[hr][s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

riskyand dodgy stables and dundee

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:46 am

Why is it risky and dodgy to go to either of these places?

Return to The Students' Association (Union)